As we become increasingly concerned about the impact of our food choices on the environment, animal welfare and our own health, the vegan diet is seeing a surge in popularity. With it, vegan franchises are popping up across the world. So, how can you get involved in this burgeoning sector? We find out.
According to the Vegan Society, there are now around 600,000 people following a plant-based diet in the UK – that’s 1.6 percent of the population. But, interestingly, almost half of the vegan demographic made the lifestyle change in 2018, demonstrating just how quickly the diet’s popularity is accelerating. Although the percentage of British vegans is small compared to the meat-eating demographic, one in three people have reduced their meat consumption and almost one in four drink ‘plant milk’.
By setting up your own vegan restaurant franchise, you can capitalise on one of the fastest growing food trends in the UK. While it’s widely recommended you don’t invest heavily in a ‘trend’ – in any sector – this is one craze that seems likely to stay. As a result of worsening environmental issues and increasing awareness surrounding animal welfare, veganism should be taken up by more and more consumers as time goes on.
>> Read more:
- Healthy food franchises: What are the best opportunities?
- Starting an Organic Food Franchise is a Healthy Choice. Here’s Why.
- Starting a health food shop: A quick guide
- Help People Eat Right With One of These 7 Healthy Food Franchises
- 5 Delicious and Healthy Lebanese Food Franchises in the UK
- Healthy Franchises- Start Your Own!
Vegan franchises in the UK
Here are four of the best vegan franchises in the UK:
1. HUMPIT Hummus
Hummus is a consumer favourite when it comes to the plant-based diet; us Brits can’t get enough of the Middle Eastern delight. Humpit Hummus takes advantage of our newfound love of the blended chickpea dish, serving a selection of pitas, falafel, salads, pickles, sauces, juices and – of course – hummus!
- Becoming a HUMPIT Hummus franchisee: This business is on the hunt for regional franchisees all across the UK to bring the brand to their local areas. It offers the chance to operate from small sites with low fit-out and running costs. To learn more and sign up, click here.
- How much you need to invest: If you’re interested in opening a HUMPIT Hummus franchise, an initial investment of £30,000 is required, but the total capital necessary to grow the business will be around £70,000.
- What you get for your investment: When you join HUMPIT Hummus as a franchisee, you can opt to launch a sit-down café or a takeaway site, depending on your chosen location. Whichever model you go for, the franchise team will provide a comprehensive training programme and ongoing support. This will give you everything you need to run your business successfully, from help with site selection to fit-out, product lines and marketing.
At Tossed, boring, limp salads are a thing of the past. This franchise aims to provide customers with healthy food fast, with a menu of salads, ‘rainbow wraps’, yoghurt pots and breakfast options. It’s also the UK’s first cashless restaurant, taking all payments through credit or debit cards and Apple Pay.
Tossed isn’t strictly a vegan restaurant, as its dishes include chicken, turkey, pork and salmon. But it’s incredibly popular among consumers following a plant-based diet, thanks to its numerous healthy, meat and dairy-free options.
- Becoming a Tossed franchisee: Tossed began in the US and now has 24 sites, most of which are still stateside, but there are a few in the UK. Franchisees can tailor their franchise to their own preferences, with two store sizes on offer. 250-1250 square foot stores are best suited to airports, colleges, universities, shopping centres, medical centres, hospitals, train stations and office buildings, while the more traditional 1,400-2,400 sq ft outlet is ideal for urban and suburban locations.
- How much you need to invest: An initial investment of £20,000 is required, but investors end up spending between £200,000 and £300,000.
- What you get for your investment: Franchisees get a classroom-based and on-the-job training for a minimum of two weeks. The course covers operations, daily management, front of house, inventory control and cash management. On top of this, Tossed takes care of the store’s interior design, menu, food suppliers, product specifications and health and safety standards.
As the nation’s eating habits change, Redemption is one step ahead of the curve. This sophisticated restaurant and bar sells delicious vegan, sugar-free and wheat-free dishes, as well as alcohol-free smoothies, shakes, cocktails and beers.
- Becoming a Redemption franchisee: There are currently three Redemption restaurants in Covent Garden, Notting Hill and Shoreditch, and the team wants your help to take the brand to new territories. If you’re an experienced restaurant operator, get in touch with Redemption here.
- How much you need to invest: You’ll need at least £500,000 to set up your own Redemption location.
- What you get for your investment: This franchise does a lot of the hard work for you. It makes sure its franchisees are given menus, operational and cultural handbooks, brand support, marketing and creative direction.
Pretty much everyone who visits enters a sceptic and leaves a convert, so they’re clearly doing something right. – Alex Landon, Secret London
4. Flower Burger
This European franchise was the first vegan burger fast food business to be launched in Italy. Since 2015, it’s been selling gloriously colourful burger buns using turmeric, beetroot and vegetable charcoal to create natural yellow, purple and black colourings – among others!
- Becoming a Flower Burger franchisee: Although there are currently 10 restaurants in Italy and one in the Netherlands, Flower Burger has rolled out its franchise programme to set up sites across Europe. To find out more about the opportunity and register your interest, click here.
- How much you need to invest: Flower Burger hasn’t revealed information about how much it might cost to launch your own business, but you can get in contact with the brand to find out.
- What you get for your investment: Franchisees benefit from plenty of support when they join Flower Burger. The franchise team helps with site layout, furniture production, finding suppliers, staff training, cash management and marketing.
Vegan franchises further afield
As veganism gains popularity, it’s likely more plant-based franchises will open over time. But, at the moment, there are only a handful of franchises operating in the sector in the UK. So, we’ve rounded up a couple of alternatives in the US; take a look if you’re interested in starting a stateside franchise – or bringing an American business to British soil.
From soups and salad ‘power bowls’ to burgers and desserts, this franchise serves a wide selection of food options. Its menu even includes all-day breakfasts and smoothies.
- Becoming a Copper Branch franchisee: At the moment, there are Copper Branch restaurants in France, Belgium and across the US. The franchise is now looking for new franchisees to take the brand to various locations in Canada and the US. To see a full list of the expansion regions, click here.
- How much you need to invest: Copper Branch hasn’t revealed its investment requirements, but you can find out more by getting in touch with the franchising team.
- What you get for your investment: This franchise makes sure its franchisees can access support with setting up a strong website and social media profiles, as well as areas like local marketing and event sponsorships.
If you thought you couldn’t satisfy your sweet tooth on a vegan diet, think again. Cinnaholic draws customers in with its selection of delicious cinnamon rolls, which can be customised, thanks to its range of more than 20 frosting flavours and variety of indulgent toppings. The best part is, all Cinnaholic products are 100 percent free from dairy, eggs, lactose and cholesterol!
- Becoming a Cinnaholic franchisee: Cinnaholic is currently a California-based business, operating four stores on the US’ west coast, but the brand is keen to grow further afield. To find out whether you could become Cinnaholic’s next franchisee, get in touch with the franchise here.
- How much you need to invest: There aren’t any official financial figures for this franchise, but you can find out how much it would cost to set up your own Cinnaholic unit by contacting the brand.
- What you get for your investment: Cinnaholic lends a hand with everything from site selection to business consulting and marketing. Of course, all franchisees can enrol onto a high-quality training programme to make sure they’ve got all the skills they need to set up a profitable business.
Cinnaholic is a turnkey solution that allowed us to jump straight into owning and operating a very profitable and fulfilling business. We couldn’t be happier with the choice we made to join the Cinnaholic family. It’s so rewarding to bring joy to people. Our customers just love our unique product and the Cinnaholic brand. – Elisa and AB Tiffee, Multi-unit franchise owners, Texas
>> Read more:
Become a franchisee today
There are plenty of advantages when it comes to starting a vegan franchise. You’ll be able to use a proven business model and enjoy the satisfaction of knowing you’re serving food that not only benefits the environment, but your customers’ bodies too. So, what are you waiting for? Get started today by clicking any of the above links to these fantastic franchise’s webpages.
Alice Tuffery, Point Franchise ©