The coffee industry in the UK
In recent Statista reports, in terms of liquid beverage equivalents, coffee is among the most consumed beverages worldwide, with roughly 42.6 liters per person and year (12.6 liters of roast coffee and 30 liters of instant coffee). Value sales of coffee have been propelled in recent years by the out-of-home sector, which is more relevant in this segment than in many other drinks categories.
Revenue in the Coffee segment amounts to £8.40bn in 2023. The market is expected to grow annually by 4.40% (CAGR 2023-2025). Concerning total population figures, per-person revenues of £122.20 are generated in 2023.
By 2025, 83% of spending and 29% of volume consumption in the Coffee segment will be attributable to out-of-home consumption (e.g., in bars and restaurants). The market for the Coffee segment is expected to show a volume growth of 4.4% in 2024.
Browse more coffee shop franchises
As coffee gains popularity, we will explore some of the UK's top coffee franchises, including kiosks, mobile franchises, and traditional cafes.
1. Coffee Planet Franchise
Coffee Planet is a globally renowned coffee shop chain UK originating from Dubai. Its mission is to provide high-quality coffee from the world's best coffee-producing regions. With a passion for excellent coffee and superior customer service, Coffee Planet has grown into a successful brand with numerous locations around the globe.
- Becoming a Coffee Planet Coffee franchisee: Coffee Planet offers attractive coffee franchise opportunities for those who share their passion for coffee. By joining the Coffee Planet family, franchisees will receive comprehensive training, ongoing support, and access to their proven business model.
- How much you need to invest: The initial franchise fee is £20,000, and minimum investment requirements depend on your chosen franchise model.
- What you get for your investment: Our team will be with you every step of the way and will assist in site selection and design, contractor selection, marketing, and launching your Coffee Planet franchise. However, it doesn’t stop there. Our coffee franchise team will work with you and provide all the support you need throughout your franchise term.
2. Inhouse Coffee Franchise
Inhouse Coffee is a coffee franchise in the UK that prides itself on serving expertly crafted coffee and providing a warm, welcoming atmosphere. They focus on creating a sense of community within their shops, setting them apart from other coffee franchises.
- Becoming an Inhouse Coffee franchisee: As an Inhouse Coffee franchisee, you'll benefit from their unique business model and comprehensive training program.
- How much you need to invest: Minimum investment is £12,750.
- What you get for your investment: InHouse Coffee will provide all the initial training you need to get your business up and running as quickly and efficiently as possible. We will also help you find your first three locations.
3. Moak Pancakes Franchise
Moak Pancakes is a popular European coffee franchise UK that combines delicious coffee with mouthwatering pancakes. The brand has successfully expanded into the UK, offering a unique experience for coffee and pancake lovers alike.
- Becoming a Moak Pancakes franchisee: Franchising with Moak Pancakes provides an opportunity to be part of an innovative and rapidly growing brand.
- How much you need to invest: Potential franchisees require a minimum investment in the region of £100,000 with the potential for additional financial support through a third party. Depending on your credit history, you may be eligible to apply for start-up loans from major banks.
- What you get for your investment: Franchisees receive extensive training and support, ensuring their Moak Pancakes location succeeds.
4. Sweet Spot Franchise
Sweet Spot is a distinctive coffee shop chain in the UK that emphasizes creating a unique sensory experience for its customers. By combining artisanal coffee with an array of indulgent desserts, Sweet Spot has carved out a niche in the UK's competitive coffee market.
- Becoming a Sweet Spot franchisee: Sweet Spot offers franchise opportunities for individuals passionate about coffee and desserts #Desserts-On-The-Go.
- How much you need to invest: Potential franchisees require a minimum investment of £20,000.
- What you get for your investment: Franchisees benefit from a proven business model, strong brand identity, and comprehensive training to ensure success in this growing market.
5. Triple Two Coffee Franchise
Triple Two Coffee is an innovative UK coffee shop franchise that prides itself on serving top-quality coffee, using only the finest beans and expertly trained baristas. With a focus on sustainability, Triple Two Coffee is firmly committed to reducing its environmental impact.
- Becoming a Triple Two Coffee franchisee: Take pride in your store. Get as much out of your work as possible, and take responsibility for your team. We are always willing to jump in as and when we are needed.
- How much you need to invest: Potential franchisees require a minimum investment of £25,000.
- What you get for your investment: Franchisees who join the Triple Two Coffee family will enjoy a supportive network, comprehensive training, and a strong brand presence.
6. Cafe2U Franchise
Cafe2U is a mobile coffee franchise that brings premium coffee directly to customers, whether at work or at events. Their unique business model offers many clients a convenient and high-quality coffee experience.
- Becoming a Cafe2U franchisee: By joining Cafe2U, franchisees can operate a mobile coffee shop with an established brand and a loyal customer base.
- How much you need to invest: Our franchise fee (excluding your vehicle) starts from just £20,950 plus vat, which includes your exclusive territory licence, training, launch, and marketing pack.
- What you get for your investment: Franchisees receive extensive training and ongoing support to ensure the success of their Cafe2U business.
7. Coffee Blue Franchise
Coffee Blue is a mobile coffee shop franchise that specialises in delivering exceptional coffee experiences. With a focus on sustainability and eco-friendly practices, Coffee Blue caters to the growing demand for ethically sourced coffee.
- Becoming a Coffee Blue franchisee: Franchising with Coffee Blue offers an opportunity to be part of a dynamic and innovative brand.
- How much you need to invest: Minimum investment of £18,950 +VAT. Expected revenue return after two years £95,000.
- What you get for your investment: Franchisees receive comprehensive training, marketing support, and access to a proven business model, ensuring their Coffee Blue venture succeeds.
8. Really Awesome Coffee Franchise
Really Awesome Coffee is a leading mobile coffee shop in the UK, known for its exceptional coffee, friendly service, and innovative approach. By delivering outstanding coffee experiences directly to customers, Really Awesome Coffee has established itself as a unique player in the coffee market.
- Becoming a Really Awesome Coffee franchisee: Someone who will enjoy the social aspect of the role and who, with our assistance, is prepared to put in the short-term hard work needed to grow the business.
- How much you need to invest: Minimum investment of £10,000. Expected revenue return after two years £95,000.
- What you get for your investment: As a Really Awesome Coffee franchisee, you will receive extensive training and ongoing support to operate and grow your mobile coffee shop successfully. With a strong brand presence and a loyal customer base, franchising with Really Awesome Coffee offers a promising business opportunity.
Why you should consider a coffee franchise UK
Becoming a coffee connoisseur is an exciting and rewarding experience that will deepen your appreciation for this beloved beverage. By exploring the world of coffee, you'll develop a refined palate and a wealth of knowledge about its rich history, diverse flavors, and intricate processes. Understand the differences between Arabica and Robusta beans, as well as lesser-known varieties, and how they contribute to the overall taste and quality of the coffee.
Types of Coffee Franchises
Having coffee shop chains in the UK is more than simply handing customers cups of coffee. There are different types of coffee franchises available, depending on your business model. You can sell from mobile carts or multi-units within various malls. If you want to be more available and flexible, you can also operate your services from inside vans. It doesn’t always have to be a traditional brick-and-mortar shop.
Running Independently or Part of a Coffee Franchise in the UK?
Many people wonder if they should run a coffee franchise for another brand instead of managing a private company. While the latter is a possibility, the fact is that it will take years before you become established and everyone knows you. When you join a franchise, the brand is already recognized, for clients won’t hesitate to buy from you. It’s also the optimal solution if you can’t get a loan for your private coffee shop.
Is a Coffee Franchise for Me?
You need to ask yourself two pertinent questions: do you have a passion for coffee, and do you love providing a service with a smile? If the answer is yes to both of those, then starting a new coffee shop chain is ideal for you. You’ll get to work with other people who are eager to support you in your business endeavours, making sure you succeed. After all, you represent their brand, which means that your success is their success.
Does Location Matter in the Coffee Franchise Business?
Surprisingly, location is actually key to a successful coffee shop franchise in the UK. If you place your store or mobile unit in a quiet area, you won’t receive many customers. What you’re looking for is a space near office buildings or where there’s high pedestrian traffic. Someone will be looking for a short coffee break during lunch, which is when you’ll be there to save them. With the right franchisor, you’ll have a few locations provided to you to select from, making the hunt for a good location easier.
Are you Ready to Start a Coffee Franchise?
After you’ve checked our list of coffee franchises in the UK, it may be a good idea to check out franchise exhibitions. There are loads of information on what it involves and the benefits you get for joining. You might even find someone that’s retiring and selling their franchise, which means everything is already set up for you.
Shaun M Jooste, Point Franchise ©