If you’re interested in all things travel and leisure and captivated by the idea of working on the water and running a ferry, you might be interested in exploring franchise opportunities with Gosport Ferry, a ferry service for pedestrians and cyclists between Gosport and Portsmouth. The sector is a profitable one that enjoys steady demand, but does Gosport Ferry franchise in the UK?
The sea and coastal passenger water transport industry is worth £1 billion [IBISWorld], and it’s the perfect industry to franchise in if you’re a business-minded person with a deep love of water. Read on, and discover if Gosport Ferry is one of the many amazing travel and leisure franchise investment opportunities currently available to you.
Does Gosport Ferry franchise in the UK?
If the idea of running your own ferry with the Gosport Ferry brand was hugely appealing, you’ll be disappointed to learn that no, Gosport Ferry does not franchise in the UK. There’s no information out there that suggests the company is currently looking to expand in this way, but of course, if your heart is truly set on Gosport, you could consider becoming an employee and working for the company directly rather than running your own Gosport Ferry business.
The history of Gosport Ferry
This ferry, beloved by locals, has a history that spans many decades. Prior to the 16th century, Gosport was a small fishing village - but it held great promise, and soon began to live up to this. In time, Gosport began to develop as a naval base and dockyard, and many within the industry moved to the area with their families. As the population of the village grew and it became a town, the need for a ferry service grew, too.
This ferry service became regulated by an order from the Court of Exchequer in 1603. Now, in 2022, Gosport Ferry operates three vessels: the Spirit of Portsmouth, the Spirit of Gosport, and the Harbour Spirit. If you’re interested in travelling on the water between Gosport and Portsmouth, taking Gosport Ferry is your “ferry” best option.
[We are] one of the longest-running ferry services in the UK. The history of the route across Portsmouth Harbour goes back much further, with wherrymen ferrying passengers across the water from the early 1600s and possibly even before that.
- Gosport Ferry
>> Read more:
Start a franchise in the travel and leisure industry
If you love what you’ve learned about Gosport Ferry but you’re still keen to find a transport business or travel and leisure franchise that you can invest with, growing a business as a franchisee, keep reading. Below, you’ll discover some of the best franchise investment opportunities for those who dream of becoming a travel agent, running a transport franchise or working elsewhere in the vast and varied field of leisure…
GoCruise is one of the UK’s largest cruise agencies, with an impressive network of over 60 franchisees. As a popular company in one of the fast-growing sectors of industry in the country, GoCruise is always on the lookout for new franchisees.
- Becoming a GoCruise franchisee: No previous experience in the travel sector is required, but GoCruise is looking for franchisees who have a passion for sales, good business judgement and a professional approach.
- How much you need to invest: You’ll need to make a minimum initial investment of £13,000.
- What you get for your investment: You’ll be assigned your own territory with roughly a quarter-million potential customers. You’ll receive initial and ongoing training, along with support from day one (with anything and everything).
2. Luke Stays
Luke Stays is a fast-growing property franchise and online travel agency, and the brand is so successful that since 2018, it’s been able to build a portfolio of over 300 properties, worth a total of over £30 million.
- Becoming a Luke Stays franchisee: If you’re looking for a fast start in the property world, are motivated to make a difference and have the capital to make it all happen, Luke Stays would be happy to welcome you to the network.
- How much you need to invest: You’ll need to make a minimum initial investment of £11,997.
- What you get for your investment: You’ll receive over 100 hours of training (initial and ongoing), a budget for your marketing and sales launch (and support with marketing and sales), operational support and an invite to quarterly live events.
3. The Massage Company
The Massage Company is a massage franchise that operates on a membership-based model and aims to offer high-quality massage services to a broad audience of customers. The Massage Company is bringing massage to the mainstream, and you could be a part of it.
- Becoming a franchisee with The Massage Company: Franchisees from a range of different backgrounds are welcome and can invest at one of two levels, becoming either an Owner Operator or an Owner Investor.
- How much you need to invest: You’ll need to make a minimum initial investment of £250,000, or £250,000 per centre if you’re going down the Owner Investor multi-centre route.
- What you get for your investment: You’ll gain access to a comprehensive programme of training and support, including all the knowledge you’ll need for a successful launch and the building of a thriving TMC location.
4. Award Leisure
Established in 1984, Award Leisure helps customers enjoy their favourite spa facilities from home, providing them with a range of outdoor leisure products including hot tubs, swim spas and saunas. The brand is all about offering relaxation without the high price tag.
- Becoming an Award Leisure franchisee: You don’t necessarily need previous experience selling spa facilities, but you will need to be a charismatic, imaginative person with a fun, approachable and sociable attitude.
- How much you need to invest: You’ll need to make a minimum initial investment of £77,000, with a total investment cost of £90,000.
- What you get for your investment: You’ll receive your first batch of stock, office equipment, vehicle signage tools, customer management systems, a portfolio of the brand’s best-selling products, marketing support and performance incentives.
>> Read more:
- Franchising 101: The Official Franchise Start Up Checklist (Part 1)
- Franchising 101: The Official Franchise Start Up Checklist (Part 2)
- New Year, New Career: No Better Time Than Now to Start a Franchise Today
- Franchising 101: 8 Signs You're Ready to Start a Franchise
- Starting a New Business Doesn't Always Lead to Immediate Success: Here Are 5 Ways to Change That
- It's Never Too Late to Start a New Business
Starting a franchise in the travel and leisure industry offers endless possibilities for profitability and growth
Hopefully, this article has shown you that though running a Gosport Ferry franchise isn’t on the cards, there are still many opportunities to explore in the transport and travel sectors. For more information on the potential of starting a franchise in these sectors, stay on Point Franchise. Discover the five biggest advantages of running a travel franchise, and look into other potential investments like Travel Counsellors.
Cara Squires, Point Franchise ©