If you’re passionate about teaching, inspiring and making a positive difference with your work, why not start running your own business and acting as your own boss with an investment in a tutoring franchise? The industry is undeniably competitive, but the following six marketing tips will help you to stand out from the crowd if you do decide to start a tutoring franchise.
There are so many thriving tutoring franchises in the UK right now, and if you’d love to get in on the action in an industry that’s experienced rapid growth in the past two years (particularly in the online tutoring sub-sector), the best thing you can do to make your business a success is to develop some strong marketing strategies that set you apart from the competition.
How to market a tutoring franchise: 6 marketing tips
One of the first things you’ll do once you’ve made an investment with a tutoring franchise is create a franchise business plan. This plan will keep you in line with your franchisor and your own goals, and it’ll also be something you show to funding bodies if you’re applying for financial backing.
As you build a business plan for your tutoring franchise, marketing will be an important consideration. Just remember: The more strategy you set up ahead of your franchise’s launch, the better your franchise is likely to perform once those doors open. Point Franchise’s six top tips for marketing your tutoring franchise effectively and efficiently are as follows...
>> Read more:
1. Narrow down your target audience (and pay to advertise in their direction)
Knowing your audience is half the battle in the world of marketing, so building an ideal customer profile once you become a tutor can be very helpful. When you have this profile and you know it’s accurate, you’ll also have a much stronger sense of what will work, from an advertising perspective, on this person. What will they respond to, and what won’t they? If you do make any paid advertising moves on behalf of your tutoring business, they should 100% be well-targeted to that customer profile.
2. Nail your tutoring franchise’s website
A good website is absolutely essential in this day and age. There are 65.32 million UK internet users [Statista], and your website is a cost-effective way to market your business to these users, boosting your credibility and improving sales... if done right. Doing it right, in this context, means building (or hiring someone else to build) a site that’s well-designed and finished to a professional standard, quick-to-load, SEO-friendly and mobile-friendly.
Many franchisors in the tutoring world will build this website for you, or offer you a dedicated space on the franchise network’s nationwide website. Check the terms of your franchise agreement or ask your franchisor to discover your specific situation, but whoever the responsibility falls on, make sure that that site is only ever going to have a positive impact in terms of marketing your business.
3. Get on social media and stick around
Social media is a fantastic way to communicate with your customers, establishing a relationship that wouldn’t be possible without it. You will become more approachable and trustworthy as a brand the more you share, and with the number of social media users predicted to reach 51 million by 2025 [Statista], you really need to join the party. To break it down, the key benefits of getting your franchise’s social media profiles up and running and then sharing content on these profiles regularly include:
- The chance to raise brand awareness
- The chance to raise local awareness about your specific franchise location
- The ability to draw in new customers/followers with quality content
- The added opportunity to cheaply and effectively promote your deals/products/services
- The new source by which to generate and create new leads
- The ability to drive traffic towards your website and boost its performance
4. Position your franchise as unique (and pay attention to your competition)
It might seem like it would be challenging to position your tutoring franchise as unique and distinct - especially given there’s so much competition in the offline and online tutoring market - but it doesn’t have to be. Think about how you can bring a new spin and tagline to even a simple concept, and your marketing will be able to stand out from the rest. Mother Nature Science, for instance, runs science workshops, but is careful to position itself distinctly as “a leading provider of science edutainment”.
5. Reward loyal repeat clients and incentivise referrals
Rewarded, invested customers are the ones that keep coming back, and if you can incentivise them to make referrals with offers like “one free session for you and a friend”, you’ll secure the good will of two happy clients in one. This type of marketing costs you very little, but has a huge positive impact on how your brand is perceived within your operational area. It’s definitely a low-effort but high-impact marketing strategy worth implementing as soon as possible, especially as you’re initially starting your tutoring business and looking to extensively grow your customer base.
6. Never stop researching, learning and developing your knowledge base
Knowledge is your best friend, and nobody should know that better than someone running a franchise that’s all about learning, teaching and growing. There’s never a time in your franchising journey - or in any professional journey, at that - where you should sit back and say, “Well, that’s that. I’ve learned everything there is to learn, I’m at the top of my game, and I can stop developing my franchise and my own mind now.” Instead, you should continue to:
- Keep up with the latest consumer trends in the tutoring industry
- Keep up with the latest developments and changes in the education system
- Engage with all ongoing training and development opportunities offered to you
- Research and learn about new teaching methods/styles constantly
- Stay aware that you’ll always have more to discover
- Set yourself no limits to the level of success you could attain
>> Read more:
- 5 Qualities of a Successful Franchisor
- 4 Things Franchisees Never Have Time for But Are Essential for Running a Successful Business
- How to Launch a Franchise and Get Noticed
- 4 Elements of a Successful Franchise
- How to Start a New Business on a Shoe-String Budget
- The Ultimate Guide to Franchising Success
Whether it’s an in-person tutoring franchise or an online tutoring franchise, running your own business in this thriving sector could be ideal
For even more advice on starting your own tutoring franchise and successfully running this business for years to come, stay on Point Franchise. Check out a day in the life of the owner of a tutoring franchise, and discover a comprehensive guide to making a career change with a tutoring franchise successfully.
Lily Sweeney, Point Franchise ©