For businesses across the spectrum, the global pandemic has been challenging. But one of the best ways to renew your career post-COVID in a safe and supported format is through the medium of franchising. If you’ve got a passion for teaching and you’d love to be your own boss, here’s a taste of what it takes to run your own tutoring franchise.
Whether online or in-person, tutoring can help a child turn their schooling around, giving them the support they need to succeed. If you feel you could thrive as a franchisee with a tutoring company, keep reading, and discover what your day-to-day tasks could be in the role.
A day in the tutoring sector
In the tutoring sector, your daily tasks will include the following:
- Teaching - The obvious, most important element of a tutor’s job is teaching in your chosen field and sharing knowledge with your students. This should always be the first focus and priority.
- Providing feedback and assessing pupil progress - Another crucial aspect of life as a successful tutor, feedback will help students to keep up-to-date with their achievements and on track with their growth.
- Lesson planning and reviewing tutoring materials pre-session - As a tutor, you’ll be responsible for entering into every session fully prepared, with all the materials and knowledge that you need readily to hand.
- Providing tech instructions - If you’re running sessions online, as many tutoring franchise networks do, you’ll need to be clear with your students about how they can connect to the video platform you’re using.
- Administration and scheduling - Outside of sessions, stay in regular contact and get back to people as soon as possible. Schedule sessions promptly, avoiding double-booking and time conflicts.
Advantages to running a tutoring franchise
If the day-to-day work of a tutor appeals to you, it’s time to continue your research and look into all the biggest advantages of franchising in this growing sector. With plenty of options for specialism with companies like Mathnasium and Kixx and plenty of flexible working options with online tutoring franchises that enable you to do the job from home, you’re sure to find your fit. As a franchisee with a tutoring company, you’ll enjoy:
- High demand
- Rewarding work
- The chance to regularly meet and connect with new people
- Minimal overheads and outgoing costs
- True passion for your work/the field you’re teaching in
- Convenience and flexibility (especially when teaching from home)
- Continuous technological developments making the job easier every month
>> Read more:
Challenges of running a tutoring franchise
As with most things in life, there’s a flipside. Though there are many pros to investing in a tutoring franchise, it won’t always be easy, and you’ll need to be persistent and hard-working in order to build a successful and profitable franchise business as a tutor. Common challenges you could run into (and need to work to overcome) include:
- Knowledge gaps in your field of teaching
- Demanding clients and pressuring parents
- Unmotivated, disinterested students
- Difficult and disruptive students
Overall, you’re likely to succeed if you can be patient, persistent and passionate, and if you dedicate yourself to continually expanding and refreshing your knowledge within the areas that your tutoring sessions are focused on.
Become a franchisee in the tutoring industry
If you’re ready to make that investment and jump into a career as a tutor, here are three great options to consider as a jumping-off point...
1. Clara James Tutoring
Clara James Tutoring specialises in the provision of bespoke one-to-one Maths and English tuition for kids across the UK. Using a wide range of resources and unique learning methods, the franchise has been able to support many different children, including those with learning difficulties.
- Becoming a Clara James Tutoring franchisee: The ideal Clara James Tutoring franchisee would be warm, encouraging and adaptable. They would also be creative, open to new ideas, self-motivated, hard-working and organised, with a willingness to travel for work (always within the bounds of their operational territory).
- How much you need to invest: To franchise with Clara James Tutoring, you’ll need to make a minimum initial investment of £9,995.
- What you get for your investment: You’ll receive a full programme of training and support, including an intensive week of initial training, introductory manuals, marketing support and fortnightly calls with your franchisor.
>> Read more:
Tutortoo is a management franchise in the tutoring sector, and tutors within the network cover a range of subjects and teach to a range of ages, including catering to people with special educational needs. The company’s central ethos is this: Everyone should receive the support they need in order to reach their full academic potential and thrive in life.
- Becoming a Tutortoo franchisee: You don’t need any previous teaching experience to franchise with Tutortoo, but you will need to be a confident, self-motivated communicator with strong leadership skills and excellent written and spoken English.
- How much you need to invest: To franchise with Tutortoo, you’ll need to make a minimum initial investment of £4,000, with a total investment cost of £24,950.
- What you get for your investment: You’ll receive plenty of initial training and practical help launching your business. Post-launch, you’ll benefit from an extensive mentoring programme, exclusive access to software and marketing materials, and many ongoing training opportunities.
3. Choice Home Tutoring
Choice Home Tutoring provides one-on-one tuition to students of all ages, and sessions are generally completed in the comfort of students’ own homes, with franchisees operating within certain operational territories. The franchise is trusted by thousands of UK students and prides itself on always delivering first-class, personalised support.
- Becoming a Choice Home Tutoring franchisee: You don’t need experience to invest with Choice Home Tutoring, but according to the franchise, you should be an intelligent, organised and disciplined person with a strong desire to succeed.
- How much you need to invest: To franchise with Choice Home Tutoring, you’ll need to make a minimum initial investment of £17,500, with a total investment cost of £23,500.
- What you get for your investment: Along with plenty of training (initial and ongoing) and support, you’ll enjoy quarterly meetings with the management team.
Start a tutoring franchise and enjoy running your own business while making a real difference
If this article has only served to further confirm your desire to work in the tutoring sector, stay on Point Franchise and continue your research into an investment that might well be the perfect option for you. Discover exactly how to make a career change with a tutoring franchise, or dive into the top three tutoring trends of 2021 to get to know your soon-to-be sector.
Lily Sweeney, Point Franchise ©