If you’re interested in starting your own business, working with your hands and meeting new people on a daily basis, then a handyman franchise might well get the thumbs up from you. The in-demand and growing home improvement sector is full of franchise investment opportunities, and in this article, you’ll discover the four biggest advantages of running a handyman franchise.
The key to choosing the right franchise investment is an ability to combine profitability and enjoyability. If you’re ready to make a career change with a handyman franchise, you could do exactly that. Start a dynamic new professional life that offers you endless room to grow and develop, and gives you both freedom and franchisor support. The hardware and home improvement industry in the UK employs over 100,000 people, and you could join that number – contributing to a sector worth £15 billion [IBISWorld].
>> Read more:
Why start a handyman franchise in 2021?
Post-pandemic, starting a business might be a scary prospect. From garden maintenance to electrical work, the field of home improvement has felt an impact across the board since March 2020. The picture, however, is a little brighter than you might think. COVID-19 restrictions drove 86% of home improvement projects at the start of the pandemic, and were still influencing 57% of projects in early 2021 [Home Improvement Research Institute].
When you’re spending more time than ever at home, you can imagine how easy it is to start dreaming up projects that would make the space more livable and enjoyable. Though once limited by restrictions and lockdowns, the sector is now back and better than ever, enjoying high demand up and down the UK. There’s no better time to become a handyman, with 38% of Brits considering a career in home improvement post-COVID [Show House].
The 4 biggest advantages of a home improvement franchise investment
So, what are the biggest advantages of starting a handyman franchise in 2021, beyond the stated fact that demand levels are sky-high right now, and the benefits that are inherent to franchising (support, training, less risk involved, so on)? There are so many positives, but here are Point Franchise’s top four...
1. You’ll have access to low-cost investment options
A franchise investment can vary a huge amount in terms of cost, depending on a number of factors such as the industry you’ll be investing in, the kind of business you’ll be running, the recognisability of the franchise’s brand name, and the location in which you’ll be operating/working. On average, starting a franchise cost £42,200 as of 2018 [British Franchise Association], but in the handyman industry, you should find yourself able to invest and find success for less than this average figure.
You’ll then likely enjoy lower overheads comparative to an investment like a restaurant, particularly if your business is van-based and on-the-go. To give you a better idea of what you can expect, here are a few examples from some of the top handyman franchises in the UK:
- Access4Lofts - Access4Lofts requires a minimum initial investment of £29,950.
- DALROD - DALROD requires a minimum initial investment of £20,000, with franchise fees of £34,500 and a total investment cost of £70,000.
- Drain Doctor - Drain Doctor requires a minimum initial investment of £35,000, with franchise fees of £35,000 and a total investment cost of £85,000.
- Snag Doctor - Snag Doctor requires a minimum initial investment of £24,950.
2. You’ll enjoy steady work, with a high likelihood of gaining referrals and repeat clients
When a customer finds a good and trustworthy handyman, they want to hold onto them. If you can prove your abilities and provide quality services consistently, you’ll become the first port of call for your clients for repeat business – and you’ll find they’re highly likely to start referring you to friends and family. Referrals are a great way to gain business without having to put in the hard marketing graft, and they’ll help your franchise business to grow organically.
Build customer loyalty by focusing on employee satisfaction, always asking for (and learning from) feedback and adopting some strong marketing strategies to keep people feeling connected between call-outs. Encourage referrals with schemes, like a mutual discount for the referee and referred person, a gift card, a free product, or a special package.
3. This work will simultaneously be flexible, dynamic and varied
As a franchisee, you’ll be your own boss at a lower level of risk, and you’ll enjoy all the freedom and flexibility that comes with that. You’ll also be working in an industry that’s notoriously varied, with new projects coming in each week, and no two days ever being exactly the same. In most cases, you’ll be able to choose your hours, choose your clients, and essentially choose the shape of your day. As a result, you’ll be:
- More productive
- Less stressed
- Always working to a high standard, and therefore trusted by your customers
- Happier in your job
- Enjoying a healthy work-life balance
Working as a handyman lets you use your construction-oriented skills to help people improve or repair their homes. You get to work with your hands, meet a variety of customers and work at different locations each day instead of sitting in an office.
- Shala Munroe, Chron
>> Read more:
- 5 Qualities of a Successful Franchisor
- 4 Things Franchisees Never Have Time for But Are Essential for Running a Successful Business
- How to Launch a Franchise and Get Noticed
- 4 Elements of a Successful Franchise
- How to Start a New Business on a Shoe-String Budget
- The Ultimate Guide to Franchising Success
4. You’ll have plenty of room to specialise in any number of different areas
The home improvement sector is full of amazing options, and when you decide to invest in a handyman franchise, you’ll have so many different possible routes to go down that your head might start to spin. Ask yourself what you’re passionate about, and what your previous skills and experience make you well-suited to. Do plenty of research, and don’t rush into a decision that could see you legally committed to an agreement for multiple years. Here are just a few examples of routes that you could go down:
- Home renovation (with a franchise like RAISON Home)
- Home repair and maintenance (with a franchise like Prokil)
- Home decoration (with a franchise like Just Shutters)
- Garden care and maintenance (with a franchise like LawnKeeper)
- Painting and decorating, with a franchise like ColourHaus)
- Cleaning (with a franchise like Fantastic Services)
- Plumbing and drainage (with a franchise like Metro Rod)
- Pest control (with a franchise like PGH Beegone)
Become a franchisee in the home improvement industry today
If this article has left you more ready than ever to start your handyman journey, don’t hesitate to take the leap. Why not stay on Point Franchise and find out more about the process of franchising and the responsibilities of a franchisee? Find out how to set realistic expectations for franchise success, or discover the six things you should be looking for when choosing a franchisor.
Cara Squires, Point Franchise ©