The automotive franchise sector is home to a wide variety of different businesses, from rental firms and car washes to repair businesses and maintenance product retailers. If you’re interested in running your own business in this profitable industry, keep reading to find out more about four of the best opportunities on the market.
There are around 38 million vehicles on UK roads - and with 80 percent of Brits saying they enjoy driving (AA Populus), this figure is unlikely to decrease in the near future. But most vehicles will probably have some sort of issue at one time or another. So, there’s a huge potential market for business owners in the automotive sector.
Why join the automotive franchise sector in the UK?
- People love their cars, so they want to be sure they can trust a business before they hand over their pride and joy for repair work or valeting services.
- Automotive franchises are often recognisable brands with great reputations, which is brilliant news for investors looking at the franchising sector.
- Technology is improving all the time, allowing automotive business owners to upgrade their offering. Whether you’re looking into electric vehicles or new repair equipment, franchisors can take on the responsibility of researching and implementing these new technologies, and providing training on specialist items.
- Certain types of automotive franchises allow for time away from your desk. Mobile repair businesses in particular provide entrepreneurs with the chance to get out on the road and meet new people on a regular basis.
>> Read more:
Top franchise options in the automotive sector
Automotive franchises span a variety of different sub-sectors, but we’ve rounded up four of the best investment opportunities in the industry.
The ChipsAway franchise specialises in SMART (small to medium area repair technology) processes. Having operated in the automotive sector for around 20 years, the franchise is now the most extensive network of car repair specialists in the UK.
- Becoming a ChipsAway franchisee: ChipsAway provides franchisees with a ‘ready-to-go’ turn-key business. As a result, this is an excellent opportunity if you have limited experience. As a franchisee with this van-based business, you’ll take your mobile workshop to your customers, and you can open a dedicated car care centre in the future.
- How much you need to invest: Franchisees need to raise an initial investment of £29,995, but this can be reduced to £15,000 through various funding arrangements.
- What you get for your investment: You’ll receive training in technical skills, business management, marketing and sales. You’ll also have access to a 24/7 UK call centre, which directs business your way when you’re not able to get to the phone. What’s more, ChipsAway guarantees all new franchisees £80,000 worth of customer enquiries in their first year.
The Wheel Specialist
Founded in 1955, The Wheel Specialist originally offered spray painting services in a number of industries but is now a successful alloy wheel repair and modification specialist. In fact, it’s the oldest and largest wheel refurbishment company in the UK, and it’s appeared on television programmes, including “Wheeler Dealers”.
- Becoming a The Wheel Specialist franchisee: You’ll provide top-quality refurbishment, with services including stripping and refitting, wheel balancing and wet paint and powder coating.
- How much you need to invest: You’ll need to make an initial investment of £44,995 and have access to capital of between £40,000 and £100,000.
- What you get for your investment: The Wheel Specialist makes sure all its franchisees have a website “that delivers leads while you sleep”, and offers world-class guidance in sales and marketing. The franchise also provides access to the latest industry research and ongoing business support.
Logistics is a huge sector, as the vast majority of UK goods are transported by road. Haulage companies are always on the lookout for good drivers and dedicated recruitment agencies can find and recommend them.
With three decades of successful operations experience and five ‘Franchisor of the Year’ awards, Driver Hire is a trusted brand with powerful connections to some of the largest UK hauliers.
- Becoming a Driver Hire franchisee: You’ll run your own office-based recruitment business, specialising in providing the logistics industry with temporary and permanent drivers, as well as other logistics staff. With an average annual turnover of £1.18 million per office (the UK franchise average is £378,000), Driver Hire franchises are highly desirable and very profitable.
- How much you need to invest: The minimum investment is set at £32,000, and the total investment is £40,000. Franchisees can look forward to a revenue of £500,000 after two years.
- What you get for your investment: Investors take part in a six-week training course and get access to ongoing support, and specialist teams on hand to help. Plus, the franchise organises regular regional meetings and annual conferences where franchisees can mingle.
We continue to be an industry leader both in terms of franchise support and financial rewards - with average annual franchisee turnover of £1.2 million and average net profits of £140,000. The results of our franchisees demonstrate that the Driver Hire model, combined with their own ambition, dedication and hard work is a proven recipe for success. - Graham Duckworth, Driver Hire Franchise Sales Director
Founded in 1965, Autoglym has been in the business for over 50 years, and franchising for 23. This successful franchise sells valeting and car-care products for vehicle interiors and exteriors. Autoglym’s customers come in the form of valeting companies, car distributors and transport mechanics.
The business is also a fully accredited member of the British Franchise Association, so investors and customers alike can rest easy knowing Autoglym is a trustworthy franchise.
- Becoming an Autoglym franchisee: You’ll get to use the brand’s range of high-quality products and join its extensive network of franchisees across 45 countries.
- How much you need to invest: You can become the franchise’s newest partner at a total cost of £50,000.
- What you get for your investment: You’ll benefit from the franchise’s decades of expertise when you take part in the Autoglym franchise training programme. After brushing up on your product inventory, sales, marketing, customer support and IT system knowledge, you can get started on your franchise journey.
>> Read more:
Join the automotive franchise sector today
As the opportunities above demonstrate, there are many different investment options in the automotive industry. If you’re set on running a franchise unit, why not take a look at our full list of businesses looking for new investors in this profitable sector?
Alice Tuffery, Point Franchise ©