Have you been considering making a career shift into the dog training sector? If so, starting a dog training franchise is a great way to be your own boss and reap the benefits of working in this rewarding industry. In this article, we outline some of the top dog training franchises available for you to become a part of at the moment. Start your journey with a dog training franchise today.
It’s no secret that the dog training sector is booming. In 2022, pet purchase numbers increased to a whopping 3.2 million [BBC]. With pet ownership on the rise in general, and canine companions a particular favourite, it should come as no surprise that there’s never been a better time to make a career change with a dog training franchise.
So, if working in this in demand and lucrative sector appeals to you, read on to learn about some of the top dog training franchises operating in the UK today.
>> Read more:
What is a dog training business?
Before you delve into the wider world of franchising in the dog training industry, you should do some research on what exactly this industry is and how you can go about becoming a dog trainer.
It’s important to understand that this subsector of the dog franchising industry is as much about caring for dogs as it is about training them. All dog owners should feel comfortable working with you or leaving their dog in your care. And, of course, it pays to be a dog lover yourself to truly shine in this industry.
As a a dog training franchise owner you can expect to do many things, including:
- Working with dogs to teach, socialise and discipline them
- You’ll also work extensively with dog owners teaching them to do all of the above
- Marketing and advertising your dog training franchise
- Get to know dogs and their owners to determine what kind of training suits them best
- Managing a team of other trainers and staff
- Managing the day-to-day finances of your franchise
- Keeping check of stocks
- Keeping up-to-date on all advancements and trends within the dog training sector
It’s an industry that requires you to have lots of enthusiasm, bags of energy, and plenty of patience - a tall order. But, if you’re successful, you’ll be able to enjoy all the advantages that come with running a dog training franchise, including:
- The financial stability of your services being in constant demand
- Being supported by your franchisor and encouraged to further your career in this field
- Keeping physically fit, as working with dogs often requires you to be on your feet and being active
- Working with dogs can also have benefits to your mental health, as their lovable natures can ease stress and anxiety
- Working in this industry and communicating with dog owners will also improve your people skills
The top 3 dog training franchise in the UK
1. Barking Mad
Barking Mad was established back in 2000, and now prides itself on being the UK’s number one rated and most trusted pet sitting service [Trustpilot]. It’s one of many fantastic opportunities within the dog training sector, providing multi award-winning care for thousands of happy customers.
- Becoming a Barking Mad franchisee: You don’t require any previous experience in dog training or dog care to invest in Barking Mad, but it's important that you love working with animals and are looking to commit to a long-term investment and build a flexible business.
- How much you need to invest: You will need to make a minimum initial investment of £10,000, with a total investment of £14,995.
- What you get for your investment: Barking Mad will help guide you through every step of setting up your business once you’ve invested with them. They provide expert help, lots of training and plenty of support.
PetStay was established back in 2005 by founder Carole Davy, and since then the business has gone from strength to strength. Providing quality care to dogs all across the UK, it is now globally recognised and trusted by many pet owners as a preferable alternative to putting their beloved dogs in a kennel when they go away.
- Becoming a PetStay franchisee: You will not need any prior experience in the dog training or pet industry to join this lucrative franchise. However, it pays to have a huge love of dogs. You should also have previous experience working in a business and excellent customer service skills, as you’ll be working with dog owners a lot.
- How much you need to invest: You will need to make a minimum initial investment of £9,995.
- What you get for your investment: Once you’ve invested, PetStay will start you off on your franchising journey with a three day initial training programme to get you thoroughly grounded in this industry. They’ll also take you through extensive training in business skills, technical skills and marketing, and continue to support you once your franchise is off and running.
>> Read more:
Dogknows was established back in 2011 by founder Bobs Broadbent, an ambitious dog walking business that has only grown since. It uses its unique selling point of incorporating dog training into all of its schemes and outings to stand out from its competitors in the sector. Every programme it offers is tailored made to suit each individual dog.
- Becoming a Dogknows franchisee: Dogknows will not require you to have any past experience in the pets or dog training industry, but you should have the willingness to learn how to handle dogs and be dedicated towards caring for each individual dog properly. You should be enthusiastic and organised, a reliable business partner, and have strong customer service and communication skills.
- How much you need to invest: You will need to make a minimum initial investment of £7,500, with a total investment cost of £15,000.
- What you get for your investment: In return for your investment, Dogknows will begin by taking you through an initial 10-day training course, followed by a full start-up package. They will also provide mentoring and all the ongoing support you require.
Start a dog training business today, and enjoy all the benefits of running your own business
If you’ve done all your reading up on choosing the dog training industry that’s right for you, hopefully you’re feeling inspired to get the ball rolling. Study articles such as the top tips on running a dog training franchise and tips on marketing your dog training franchise to give yourself the best chance possible of making your franchising venture a success.
Hannah Burnett, Point Franchise ©