If you dream of starting your own coffee shop business, you might be interested in joining a franchise. The food and drinks industry is highly competitive, and a proven system and expert support can provide valuable security. Let’s find out more about Esquires Coffee franchise opportunities - does the brand take on investors?
The UK is home to more than 8,000 different coffee shop brands. Around 35 million people visit cafes across Great Britain and, on average, over five million people make a stop-off at their local coffee and sandwich bar at least once a week.
Just under eight in 10 Brits consume coffee every day and more than four in 10 would travel to a nearby cafe to get their caffeine fix (Statista). So, there’s great potential for entrepreneurs interested in launching their very own cafe franchise unit.
Does Esquires Coffee franchise?
Yes! Esquires Coffee has launched a profitable franchise network and is giving dedicated entrepreneurs the chance to build their own cafe under its recognisable branding.
History of Esquires Coffee
Esquires Coffee was established in 1993 with the objective of delivering delicious coffee in trendy environments with outstanding service. It launched its first store in Delta, British Columbia, and has built up the business to become a recognisable international brand in the ethical coffee industry.
In the 2000s, the brand expanded across the UK and Europe through master franchise agreements. Its approach has proven to be a successful strategy for Esquires Coffee, as it grows its presence in the fast-paced food and drink industry. Now, the franchise has a network of over 50 coffee shops in the UK.
Starting your own Esquires Coffee franchise unit
Esquires Coffee is looking for investors with a passion for working as part of a team and the ability to motivate others. Successful candidates are hardworking, dedicated and enthusiastic about growing a productive business. To be accepted onto the franchise programme, you should also be happy to promote the company’s community-oriented culture and provide a relaxed space for those in your local area.
There are several franchise investment packages available:
- Single franchise - This option is perfect for anyone who is new to franchising or the cafe industry. Esquires Coffee makes sure everything is in place for you to hit the ground running with your new business. They find, design and kit out your new premises and provide you and your team with training. And if you fancy opening additional stores in the future, you’ll have the chance to expand your network.
- Multi-unit franchise - This is an ideal franchise investment for more experienced franchisees or independent business owners. It’s designed for those who have their sights set on growing a franchise portfolio. As with the single franchise option, Esquires Coffee organises and prepares everything for you, so you can concentrate on building your business.
- Master franchise - The master licence programme has been uniquely developed for the UK market. Qualified entrepreneurs have the chance to own and develop a specific franchise area or territory, free from many of the controls applied to the other franchise packages. As a master franchisee, you’ll be responsible for creating a group of profitable cafes with the full support of the Esquires Coffee brand.
>> Read more:
Becoming an Esquires Coffee franchisee:
If you’re successful in your application, you’ll attend a series of meetings and interviews with the Esquires Coffee recruitment team after completing the franchise’s online form. Once everyone is confident you have what it takes to be a great franchisee, you’ll discuss location, budget and finance options.
At this stage, you should visit Esquires Coffee stores and spend time with existing franchisees. Taking this step will help you work out whether you identify with the brand culture and make a good fit for the business. It’s also important to seek advice from an experienced franchise solicitor before you commit to signing the franchise agreement.
Once you’ve put pen to paper, you’ll start looking for a suitable business property. Next comes the store fit-out and training. This part of the process could take between four and eight months.
>> Read more:
- Franchising 101: The Official Franchise Start Up Checklist (Part 1)
- Franchising 101: The Official Franchise Start Up Checklist (Part 2)
- New Year, New Career: No Better Time Than Now to Start a Franchise Today
- Franchising 101: 8 Signs You're Ready to Start a Franchise
- Starting a New Business Doesn't Always Lead to Immediate Success: Here Are 5 Ways to Change That
- It's Never Too Late to Start a New Business
How much you need to invest:
The cost of the franchise fee is £19,500, but the total investment cost usually adds up to around £200,000. You’ll need to finance the franchise fee and property agency fees, as well as the store design, shop fit-out, furniture and equipment.
Franchisees must also have enough money to cover initial inventory, launch promotions, royalties and marketing fees. The franchise also asks investors to put aside £85,000 as working capital to keep the business going until it reaches its break-even point.
What you get for your investment:
In exchange for the franchise fee, you’ll get the chance to take part in pre-store opening training. The comprehensive programme involves classroom coaching, as well as on-site training in a successful Esquires Coffee shop. Also, you’ll spend time at the franchise’s head office with the senior management team to discuss marketing, accounting and the Esquires Coffee ethos.
On an ongoing basis, you’ll get support in all aspects of business operations, from local marketing and customer service to financial management. You’ll also have the chance to attend franchisee group meetings and receive regular visits from your dedicated business development manager.
The length of time covered by the franchise agreement will depend on your property lease but the average initial franchise term is between 10 and 15 years. If you set up a profitable unit in line with the regulations in the franchise agreement, you should have the opportunity to renew your contract.
Become a coffee shop franchisee
So, there you have it - everything you need to know about starting an Esquires Coffee franchise unit. If you’d like to find out more details about joining the business, you can take a look at its Point Franchise profile page or its own website.
Alternatively, why not browse our other available coffee shop franchise opportunities?
Alice Tuffery, Point Franchise ©