The cleaning industry is a profitable and diverse sector. But which are the best cleaning franchises and how can you get involved?
Having been classed as key workers throughout the pandemic, many cleaning franchises have continued to operate as normal. Many have even seen increased demand for their services. With households and businesses adopting flexible working patterns for the long term, and with specialist cleaning services needed across the country, joining a cleaning franchise has never looked more attractive.
If you want to join the industry, the first step you’ll need to take is deciding whether you want to work with domestic or commercial customers – or a combination of the two. Then, you should think about which market you’ll operate in. Specialising in a niche area, such as window or carpet cleaning, means you’ll be able to focus your efforts and build up valuable expertise.
It is very well documented that the cleaning industry is incredibly resistant to recessions. We saw our busiest year on record in 2009 following the recession then and our figures have grown year on year ever since. The coronavirus pandemic is undoubtedly causing us to enter another recession, and so cleaning is one of the safest industries to be a part of right now.
– Kevin Shaw, Homeclean.
Why start a cleaning franchise?
- There are many low-cost opportunities providing scope for impressive profit margins.
- You can work the hours you choose, either as a full-time or part-time job.
- You can work from home or operate from a commercial premises.
- There are many sub-categories within the cleaning industry, so you can build a franchise business that suits your individual circumstances, interests and talents.
- As a key worker, you’ll be guaranteed a secure income.
>> Read more:
Cleaning franchise opportunities
1. Fantastic Services
Fantastic Services is one of the fastest growing companies in the UK, and is a leading provider of home, office, outdoor and maintenance services to both domestic and commercial clients.
- How do I become a Fantastic Services franchisee?: To become an area developer franchisee, you’ll need some experience in a management role, but to become a master or working franchisee, you don’t need any previous experience.
- How much do I need to invest?: To become a franchisee, you’ll need to make a minimum investment of £6,500. Your expected revenue in two years is £100,000.
- What support is on offer?: You’ll be offered full and ongoing training and support on SEO, marketing, customer care, accounting and more.
2. Bright & Beautiful
Bright & Beautiful has already made its mark on the UK’s domestic cleaning industry, with over 65 franchisees providing an exceptional service to clients.
- How do I become a Bright & Beautiful franchisee?: Bright & Beautiful is looking for hard-working individuals who are business minded and eager to run their own successful cleaning business with the support of the Head Office team.
- How much do I need to invest?: To run your own Bright & Beautiful franchise, you’ll need to make a minimum investment of £12,500 and a total investment of £25,000.
- What support is on offer?: You will take part in a comprehensive, five-day training programme at head office. When you’re up and running, you can benefit from an ongoing support network, national and regional training sessions and your very own regional business development manager.
Kingsmaid Cleaning has 16 years of experience in the UK, and has a customer base of loyal customers who rate its work highly. With over 75 employees (some of whom have been there for over 10 years), Kingsmaid is one of the premier UK cleaning franchises.
- How do I become a Kingsmaid Cleaning franchisee?: Kingsmaid Cleaning is a people-based business, meaning you don’t need any previous experience - just good communication skills and the ability to empathise.
- How much do I need to invest?: You’ll need to make a minimum investment of £10,000, with your revenue in 2 years expected to be around £440,000.
- What support is on offer?: As part of your training, you’ll spend four days at head office, and then two in the field to get you up to speed. You’ll also be given dedicated customer conversion and retention training, along with a number of online training modules. Before you open, you’ll be given a pre-loaded PC, two tablets and access to the Kingsmaid portal.
4. Merry Maids
Merry Maids has been based in the UK for 35 years and has more than 100 franchisees across the country. Merry Maids prides itself on giving its customers exceptional service by making sure each franchisee has all the support, guidance and training they need to build a successful business.
- How do I become a Merry Maids franchisee?: This franchise is on the lookout for entrepreneurs with good business judgement, great people skills and the motivation to push a business forward.
- How much do I need to invest?: You’ll need to make a minimum investment of £5,999 + VAT.
- What support is on offer?: You’ll be given hands-on training, supplies, equipment and computer software. All new team members will also be given any tools they need to get the job done.
Autosmart is a franchise that sells specialised products for the maintenance and upkeep of a range of vehicles.
- How do I become an Autosmart franchisee?: You don’t need a background in sales, only determination, a will to win and plenty of enthusiasm.
- How much do I need to invest?: To become a franchisee, there is a minimum investment of £20,000.
- What support is on offer?: Autosmart’s award-winning training programme features a 5 day course at head office where you’ll be taught sales skills. You’re also encouraged to attend regular product training courses.
6. Nationwide Cleaners
Nationwide Cleaners is a profitable, award-winning cleaning franchise offering flexible hours and the ability to work from home.
- How do I become a Nationwide Cleaners franchisee?: No previous sales, marketing or cleaning experience is needed, and you can choose to commit full-time or run a part-time franchise.
- How much do I need to invest?: You can expect a return of £60,000 in 2 years, following a total investment of £7,999.
- What support is on offer?: As long as you’re passionate and dedicated to running your own business, Nationwide Cleaners will give you all the training you need. Once you’re up and running, you’ll be able to attend a special business growth programme led by the top franchisee, who has 400 clients.
7. Daily Poppins
Daily Poppins was first established as a home cleaning service in 1997, and has grown in size and profitability over the years.
- How do I become a Nationwide Cleaners franchisee?: This franchise is looking for people who have exceptional management and interpersonal skills, with experience in sales, have a driver's license and a credit record which allows for vehicle renting.
- How much do I need to invest?: You’ll need to make a minimum investment of £7,000.
- What support is on offer?: On top of the franchise’s extensive training and mentoring programme, you’ll get access to an iPad with tailored software, a custom-made webpage and a cloud-based management system. The package also comes with a minimum of 30,000 marketing flyers to help you advertise in your local area.
JAN-PRO provides top-notch cleaning services to offices, medical centres and commercial premises in over 11 countries, and to over 40,000 customers a year.
- How do I become a JAN-PRO franchisee?: You don’t need a background in business, or even an office space. All you need is ambition and the desire to succeed.
- How much do I need to invest?: You can expect to generate revenue of £375,000 in 2 years, following an initial investment of £3,000 + VAT.
- What support is on offer?: There is plenty of support provided to franchisees, including a five-session training programme in London and a free, two-week trip to Atlanta for training.
Ovenclean is a UK-based oven cleaning specialist, and is the only business of its kind currently advertising on television.
- How do I become an Ovenclean franchisee?: Ovenclean has developed and supported franchise partners from all walks of life, with varying backgrounds, work histories and business ambitions, so you don’t need any previous experience.
- How much do I need to invest?: The investment cost for this unique franchise opportunity is £14,995 plus VAT.
- What support is on offer?: Franchisees can choose their working hours to fit around existing commitments. Of course, the franchise also provides an intensive training programme and a business mentor to help you get up to speed with the brand’s standards.
>> Read more:
- Q&A: Does Safeclean Franchise in the UK?
- 7 Advantages of Opening a Commercial Cleaning Franchise
- Is It Your Time to Shine With a Cleaning Services Franchise?
- Professional Cleaning Services Franchise: From Rags to Riches
- Domestic Cleaner Franchises That Will Make You Sparkle
- Techclean: What's Involved in Starting a Franchise?
Safeclean has over half a decade of experience under its belt, so it has heaps of industry-specific expertise that it can transfer to its franchisees.
- How do I become an Ovenclean franchisee?: You don’t need any prior experience and you can choose how to run your own business.
- How much do I need to invest?: The minimum investment required by Safeclean is £15,000 and the total investment is £29,995.
- What support is on offer?: You’ll be taught about all aspects of the business, from finance to technical skills.
10. The future of cleaning franchises
Here are just ten of our favorite cleaning franchises. If franchising sounds like the right thing for you, but working in the cleaning sector isn’t, you can see a full list of franchise opportunities on our UK franchise directory.
Elliott Fudge, Point Franchise ©