Team Knowhow’s expert services have been renowned throughout the UK for years. In September 2021, the Team Knowhow brand - along with many others - was combined under the umbrella of Currys Plc. If you’re wondering what happens now, and whether Team Knowhow franchise opportunities are still available in the UK, keep reading and find out.
As you begin to conduct your research, you’re likely to find content online that talks about running a Team Knowhow help desk or starting a Team Knowhow delivery franchise. But are you able, post-merger, to become a franchisee in the thriving, ever-growing technology industry with Team Knowhow, offering the classic range of Team Knowhow installation, advice and delivery services?
Does Team Knowhow franchise in the UK?
No, you can no longer franchise with Team Knowhow in the UK. Along with Currys PC World, Dixons and Carphone Warehouse, this brand was folded into Currys plc in October 2021. The tech support services provided by Team Knowhow are largely still being provided by Currys - but now everything is under the same roof, and the “Team Knowhow” brand name is defunct. This means, of course, that you’re not able to start a Team Knowhow franchise.
Electricals company Dixons Carphone is merging its four tech and retail businesses under the Currys name as part of a major group rebrand. Currys PC World and Dixons, alongside mobile phone retailer Carphone Warehouse and service partner Team Knowhow, will all become known as Currys by the end of October, with a visual identity developed by FutureBrand and relaunched website.
- Michaela Jefferson, Marketing Week
Exploring the history of Currys plc
Currys first came onto the retail scene as a seller of bikes all the way back in the 20s. From this point, the brand expanded rapidly and steadily, becoming a household electrical goods retailer by the 60s. In 1984, Currys was purchased by Dixons, a rival retailer, and Dixons continued to use the Currys brand for outlets of the combined company.
From 2008, larger stores on retail-park-style-premises were known under the Currys PC World name, combining Currys’ retail operations with Dixon’s PC World under one roof. When Dixons acquired Carphone Warehouse in 2014, Dixons Carphone was formed, and by October 2021, all the outlets, along with Team Knowhow, had been rebranded, under one name, as Currys Plc.
And breathe. It’s a lot to take in, so if you need a re-read, don’t be alarmed. The main thing to take away from Currys’ history is that, in the words of the company, “The business has changed a lot in 130 years but our desire to help everyone enjoy amazing technology has remained consistent, from bikes and gramophones a hundred years ago, to drones and virtual reality today.”
Start a franchise in the B2B sector
If you can’t start your own Team Knowhow business anymore, what can you do instead? Currys plc is mid-overhaul right now, and there’s not a lot of information out there about franchising with the tech giant. But there are plenty of other franchise opportunities available to you in the B2B sector right now that will allow you to provide for your customers and solve problems each working day, as you would have running a Team Knowhow franchise. Here are just a few...
>> Read more:
eDivert is a B2B marketing franchise offering administrative support, customer service support and marketing support to companies up and down the UK. eDivert offers franchisees two different scaleable packages dependent on budget and ambition.
- Becoming an eDivert franchisee: Previous experience in customer service, sales, marketing or administration would be helpful. You should also be dedicated, passionate, driven and eager to learn.
- How much you need to invest: You’ll need to make a minimum initial investment of £9,500, with a total investment cost of £11,400.
- What you get for your investment: You’ll be able to work flexibly, and you’ll be onboarded via a programme of expert, personalised training, followed by access to plenty of ongoing franchisor support.
FASTSIGNS was first established in Dallas in 1985. The signage and communications franchise came to the UK in 1992, continues to offer a huge range of options to its customers, and has now opened over 675 centres in 10 countries across the globe.
- Becoming a FASTSIGNS franchisee: You don’t need any prior industry experience, but you will need an excellent work ethic, an understanding of what makes a successful team, and plenty of enthusiasm for the role.
- How much you need to invest: You’ll need to make a minimum initial investment of £36,000, with franchise fees of £21,000 and a total investment cost of £120,000.
- What you get for your investment: You’ll receive industry-leading training and pre-opening support. You’ll then have access to a mentoring programme, outside sales support and a dedicated business consultant.
HOODZ is a specialist company that provides commercial clients with kitchen exhaust system cleaning services. Founded in the USA, HOODZ is now expanding into the UK and making a name for its world-class services across the pond.
- Becoming a HOODZ franchisee: You don’t need industry experience, but you do need communication skills, sales skills, confidence and passion for the work you’ll be conducting with HOODZ.
- How much you need to invest: You’ll need to make a minimum initial investment of £40,000, with franchise fees of £25,000 and a total investment cost of £57,736.
- What you get for your investment: You’ll receive two days of BESA training, eight days in the classroom, four days on the job and as much ongoing training and support as you need.
>> Read more:
- Franchising 101: The Official Franchise Start Up Checklist (Part 1)
- Franchising 101: The Official Franchise Start Up Checklist (Part 2)
- New Year, New Career: No Better Time Than Now to Start a Franchise Today
- Franchising 101: 8 Signs You're Ready to Start a Franchise
- Starting a New Business Doesn't Always Lead to Immediate Success: Here Are 5 Ways to Change That
- It's Never Too Late to Start a New Business
Start a B2B franchise today, enjoy all the perks of running your own business tomorrow
For further support with the launch and running of whatever B2B business best suits you, stay on Point Franchise. Discover the seven biggest advantages of running a B2B franchise and browse some great B2B franchise opportunities that would perfectly suit potential franchisees with a knack for sales.
Cara Squires, Point Franchise ©