If you’re interested in starting a real estate franchise and joining a booming sector, you’re likely to come across Rightmove during your research. Rightmove, abroad and at home, is one of the most popular online property portals out there, and as such, Rightmove franchise opportunities are highly sought after. But does this giant on the property scene franchise in the UK? Can you launch your own Rightmove business in 2022?
Rightmove, now a FTSE 100 company, celebrated its 20th anniversary in 2020 [Rightmove], and with so much success under the brand’s belt, it’s easy to see why so many might think: Wouldn’t it be great to become a Rightmove estate agent, promoting Rightmove properties for sale and rent to the many, many customers actively using the site each month? The real estate sector is thriving in 2022, ripe for franchise investment - but can that investment be with Rightmove?
Does Rightmove franchise in the UK?
Researchers interested in marketing Rightmove rentals and for-sale properties will be disappointed to discover that, no, the property portal does not currently franchise in the UK. Of course, there are many ways to become a franchisee in the real estate industry and you can start your own estate agency franchise without Rightmove, but if your dream is to run a Rightmove franchise, in particular, it can’t become real right now.
Rightmove’s purpose is to make home moving easier in the UK. We do this by creating a simpler and more efficient property marketplace. Rightmove is the UK’s number one property portal. - Rightmove
>> Read more:
The history of Rightmove
Rightmove was founded in 2000 by four corporate estate agencies at the top of their field - Countrywide, Connells, Halifax and Royal and Sun Alliance. Charging to list on Rightmove was introduced two years later in 2002, and the business has boomed considerably in the past two decades, becoming a FTSE 100 company with a market value of around £5 billion.
In 2021, over 18 billion minutes were spent on Rightmove’s platforms, and the group’s revenue exceeded £300 million [Rightmove]. Unfortunately, Rightmove isn’t currently open to franchise investments from potential UK franchisees, but don’t fear. The real estate industry is vast and ever-expanding, and if you want to start running an estate agency franchise, you still have plenty of options.
Start a franchise in the real estate industry today
You might be thinking: If you can’t start a Rightmove franchise in the UK, what can you do? But the truth is that there are many amazing estate agency and property franchise investment opportunities waiting for your investment. Even without a background in real estate, many of these highly successful brands will welcome you with open arms and facilitate your future success as a franchisee. Here are just a few of your best options right now...
EweMove specialises in sales and lettings. Founded in 2013, EweMove has grown substantially in the past eight years and was recognised by The Sunday Times as the Best Estate Agency Franchise between 2014 and 2016.
- Becoming an EweMove franchisee: You should be hard-working, with a can-do, people-centred attitude. You don’t need any previous experience in the sector in order to thrive with EweMove.
- How much you need to invest: You’ll need to make a minimum initial investment of £19,995, with a total investment cost of £25,000 and monthly operating and advertising fees charged at £1,250 and £2,000 respectively.
- What you get for your investment: You’ll receive a comprehensive programme of initial training (including professional property photography training), an invitation to two national conferences, access to a full starter pack and access to ongoing support.
Northwood, which has been successfully meeting the needs of its clients since 1995, is a network of residential letting and estate agents that’s been franchising since 1999. Northwood pioneered (and is now a leading provider of) the Guaranteed Rent Scheme.
- Becoming a Southernbrook franchisee: You should have high personal integrity, financial acumen and strong communication skills, with a committed willingness to work hard and get the job done - and the capital required to make it all happen.
- How much you need to invest: You’ll need to make a minimum initial investment of £50,000, with franchise fees of £22,500.
- What you get for your investment: You’ll receive all the training and support you need, including operational training and training on how to use Northwood’s accounts software. You’ll also receive a full launch marketing package and site sourcing help.
>> Read more:
- 5 Advantages of Franchising for Young People
- 9 Things to Know Before Becoming a Franchisee
- Mythbusters: Common Misconceptions About What Makes a Successful Franchisee
- 5 Great Reasons to Become a Franchisee
- Franchising 101: Are You Ready to Become a Franchisee?
- Franchising 101: 6 Things to Know Before Becoming a Franchisee
3. Agency Express
Agency Express is the UK’s largest provider of estate agency board services. Founded in 1998, the franchise has grown substantially since this time, establishing a network of 117 successful franchisees and designing and erecting estate agency boards across the UK.
- Becoming an Agency Express franchisee: You’ll need to be hands-on, motivated and energetic. You won’t need any prior experience, as any knowledge gaps will be covered in your training.
- How much you need to invest: You’ll need to make a minimum initial investment of £12,500, with a total investment cost of £24,500 and a royalty fee charged at 15%.
- What you get for your investment: In return for your investment, you’ll receive eight days of comprehensive training and support, along with many different types of ongoing training and support.
Redstones is a web-based real estate franchise that specialises in matching tenants to the right properties. The brand supports customers with lettings, residential sales, auctions, property management and more, all while deftly utilising advanced digital tools like 3D floor plans.
- Becoming a Redstones franchisee: You should be an ambitious, motivated and self-disciplined person with strong interpersonal skills.
- How much you need to invest: You’ll need to make a minimum initial investment of £14,995, with a total investment cost of £25,000.
- What you get for your investment: You’ll receive a two-week training programme at head office, professional marketing materials, equipment, software, business support, car livery and your own Redstones microsite.
Starting an estate agency franchise makes running your own business flexible and profitable
Rightmove real estate franchise opportunities aren’t the be-all and end-all of this thriving sector, and hopefully, this article has given you a strong glimpse of just how much opportunity and diversity there is in the sector. To continue your research and take steps towards starting your own real estate franchise, stick around on Point Franchise. Check out a day in the life of an estate agent franchise owner, the 10 traits of a successful estate agent and much, much more.
Lily Sweeney, Point Franchise ©