In light of the COVID-19 crisis, Kumon is supporting parents that are helping their child study at home.
Kumon is a multinational educational institution that uses the famous Kumon Method and has been in business for over 50 years. Its home study programme has become more popular than ever, with schools shutting to slow the spread of the coronavirus.
Kumon students benefit from a structured programme of learning that is tailored to their ability. They will receive regular guidance and feedback from their Kumon instructor.
For parents wondering how they can support their child’s study at home, Kumon has provided this advice:
- Provide a motivated learning environment. It’s best for your child to study at the same time and place every day, without excess noise or distractions.
- Mark their work every day. Kumon provides parents with answer books and encourages you to mark work straight after they have finished it. This way, they are able to complete their corrections by themselves, which promotes a good attitude to studying.
- Encourage independence. As Kumon is a self-learning programme, you should encourage students to tackle the work on their own and attempt solving problems even if they lack confidence at first.
- Praise them! Motivation levels will increase in students when they become more adept at self-learning. Make sure to give students lots of specific praise and encouragement.
- Give regular feedback to your instructor. Kumon students do well because of their own hard work, but it’s made possible because of the partnership between them, their instructor and their parents – the Kumon Triangle. To make sure your child is achieving their full potential, make sure to maintain good communication with the instructor.
Becky Martin, Point Franchise ©