Becoming a beauty salon franchisee can sound like a risk, but with the right knowledge and expertise at your disposal, you can start preparing for that dream career change. Make preparation your friend and start planning how to become a beauty salon owner today.
When it comes to starting your own beauty salon franchise, preparation is everything. The sector is diverse, but also highly competitive, so ensuring that you’re ready to make a smooth transition into the industry is one of the most important tips for individuals looking to make a career change with a beauty salon franchise.
If you’re looking to take the leap, however, here are some of our top tips for becoming your own boss and starting your own beauty salon business.
>> Read more:
What does a beauty salon owner do?
The daily life of beauty salon owners is varied and always different. While one day you could be spending the majority of your time processing invoices, talking with suppliers and making sure the day-to-day operations of your business are running smoothly, the next you could find yourself working up close with your customers, recruiting new team members and anything in between.
Ultimately, your beauty salon franchise is about making people feel great. From carrying out aesthetic treatments with a franchise like Laser Clinics to providing industry-leading beauty and skin products with Guinot, you’ll have the freedom to build your own role as you see it. Whether you prefer to work hands-on with clients directly, or keep your business’ back room operations ticking over smoothly, with a beauty franchise, you can be your own boss - whatever that means.
How to become a beauty salon owner and start running your own business
So, becoming a beauty salon owner still interests you. Now how do you go about starting the process? As soon as you know you want to start a franchise, start preparing yourself with the following questions.
1. What skills do I need to become a beauty salon owner?
Among the many advantages of running a beauty salon franchise, being able to bring your own experience and skill set with you from whatever previous experiences you have is one of them. As a franchisee, not only can you look forward to enjoying some excellent training and support, you can also come to this profitable and exciting industry without having worked in beauty or management before.
But with this in mind, what skills would be a perfect fit for a beauty franchise? Start by assessing your current competencies lining them up against some of the following:
- Enthusiasm for the ethos of your business
- Capable of managing a team
- A good eye for recruitment
- Good business sense
- Confidence when working under pressure
- Essential operational knowledge when it comes to working with high-powered beauty equipment
- Some minimum safety and competency qualifications (your franchisor may help you earn these)
2. How much will I need to invest?
There’s no fixed amount you’ll need to invest. The final figure will depend on what beauty franchise you want to work with, where your franchise will be based, how big it will be and how many employees you’d ideally like. The larger your franchise business, the more it will likely cost.
To give you a rough idea of what kinds of financial investments you might need to make, two of the most popular beauty franchises on Point Franchise - Laser Clinics and Guinot - ask potential franchisees to make a minimum investment of £80,000 and £87,000 respectively. Again, each franchise is different, but this could be an indicator of where you should be aiming for.
The good news is that when it comes to securing finance for your franchise, there’s every chance you could find yourself with some very attractive loans.
3. Am I confident in my investment?
While all sectors are looking to make a comeback over the coming months, it’s an unfortunate reality that many businesses aren’t in the rude health they once were. This means that doing your due diligence is more important than ever.
Take some time to independently assess the financial health of the franchise you’d like to be joining. Understand its future growth plans and how it is able to cover its costs - the last thing you want to be doing is joining a franchise already on the decline.
>> Read more:
- What is the Marketing Fee and Why is it Necessary?
- Developing an effective franchise marketing plan
- Try Out These 8 Outside-the-Box Marketing Ideas to Grow Your Business and Engage Your Customers
- 10 Tips for Building Truly Effective Social Media Marketing Campaigns
- Franchising 101: 8 Essential Marketing Strategies for Promoting Your Business
- Franchising 101: 6 Tips for Building Customer Loyalty Through Marketing
Franchising opportunities in the beauty industry
1. Laser Clinics
The largest provider of aesthetic and beauty treatments in the world, Laser Clinics franchise operates on an innovative 50/50 ownership model that ensures you have the best possible equipment to work with, while still letting you run your business with as much independence as possible.
- Becoming a Laser Clinics franchisee: You don’t need to have previous experience in the beauty industry to become a franchisee, as long as you’re prepared to top up all your existing skills and knowledge with what you’ll need.
- How much training and support is on offer: After your minimum investment, you can look forward to enjoying a comprehensive training package that will have your franchise operating at the top level.
The largest supplier of natural beauty products in the world, this internationally recognised beauty franchise offers a great opportunity to avoid the most common pitfalls of becoming a franchisee while ensuring you get the absolute most of your franchising experience.
- Becoming a Guinot franchisee: As long as you’re committed to the franchise and prepared to take on all the essential skills franchisees will need, you don’t need previous experience to become a Guinot franchisee.
- How much training and support is on offer: As is it to be expected from a globally successful franchise, any kind of additional training you require - before or after your opening - will be provided to you.
Become a beauty salon owner today
Running your own beauty salon is a great way to take your career into your own hands. From enjoying all the advantages of being your own boss, you also know that you’ve got expert support to help you all the way. But if working in the beauty industry isn’t quite for you, have a look at the UK franchise directory for a list of other opportunities.
Elliott Fudge, Point Franchise ©