The National Franchise Exhibition is one of four British Franchise Association (bfa) accredited exhibitions that take place every year. The 2017 event takes place on the 13th and 14th of October at the National Exhibition Centre (NEC), Birmingham. Tickets are free if interest is registered in advance and this isn’t the only reason to attend franchise events such as this.
McDonald’s Insight Sessions
For a start, you’ll get access to huge brand names to research and review the franchise opportunities that they have on offer. One such world-class brand that is running insight sessions at this year’s exhibition is McDonald’s. The fast-food giant has been franchising in the UK for 30 years and has 1,260 restaurants in the UK that serve millions of customers nationwide. The key characteristics that McDonald’s looks for in prospective franchisees is a hunger for success and the ambition to get there.
It’s important that a brand like McDonald’s chooses their franchisees carefully as it’s a long-term commitment and they need to be confident that their branded restaurants are in good hands. The benefit for you is that you’ll get an amazing opportunity to become part of this iconic brand which is recognised and respected by customers, and has a proven business model which is profitable.
At the National Franchise Exhibition, McDonald's will be holding an exclusive Franchisee Recruitment Insight Session. Get the chance to meet with existing franchisees to find out what it’s really like to be part of the franchise. Understand what investment is required, what training you’ll receive, and most importantly, if being a McDonald’s franchisee is for you.
bfa Franchising Seminars
Another great incentive to attend the exhibition is the advice you can get from franchise industry experts on topics such as financing and legal matters. A panel of bfa professionals will answer all your questions and concerns so that you can make an informed decision about franchising and whether it’s an option for you.
You’ll have the chance to attend up to six seminars over the two-day event. Topics that will be covered in this year’s exhibition are:
- An introduction to franchising: For aspiring owners who are new to the franchising concept
- What to consider when choosing a franchise: For aspiring owners who are new to the franchising concept
- Essential tips for franchising your business: How to franchise an existing business or develop a new venture
- Expanding your business through franchising: How to franchise an existing business or develop a new venture
- Essential tips for investing in a franchise: For those who are changing their career and considering franchising
- Making franchising your future: For those who are changing their career and considering franchising
Each seminar will be presented by a range of professionals including bank representatives, solicitors, consultants and franchisors.
If you’re not sure if franchising is right for you, or you don’t know which industry to buy a franchise in, help is at hand. You can book an appointment with a franchise professional in the Careers Clinic. The clinic is run by Personal Career Management who are the UK’s leading provider of employment and career coaching services. You’ll have the opportunity to meet with a member of the career coaching team on a one-to-one basis to discuss what industry and type of franchise your skills and experience will suit. All this advice and guidance – and it’s free.
Benefits of attending a franchise exhibition
Whether you considering becoming a franchisee, or you’re already running a franchise business, events such as the National Franchise Exhibition are a great way to find out more about the wealth of opportunities that franchising can offer. Benefits of attending include:
You get valuable time with experienced professionals
Getting quality advice from the experts is crucial when contemplating buying or expanding a franchise business. The advantage of receiving this advice face-to-face, is that attendees can get the guidance personalised for their situation and ask follow-up questions if further clarity is needed. This level of support cannot be replicated in online forums or glossy brochures.
- You get to meet other franchisees
As well as having access to the professionals, you’ll also get the chance to speak to existing franchisees from a wide range of industries. Finding out first-hand what it’s like to be part of the franchising network is invaluable.
- Learn about what’s new
Like most industries, franchising is always changing. Franchise events allow you to find out about what’s new and what changes are on the way.
Here are a few tips to make sure you get the most out of attending franchise exhibitions:
- Narrow down your franchise choices before you go – Franchise exhibitions are busy and full of interesting speakers, stands and information. So that you use your time at the event as effectively as possible, do your research before you attend. Have an idea of the franchisors that you want to speak to and the seminars that you want to watch.
- Make a list of questions you want to ask potential franchisors – You’ll get a unique opportunity to effectively ‘interview’ your preferred franchisors, so don’t waste it! The bfa provide a list of questions that they recommend you ask before deciding to join a franchise. Examples of what to ask are:
a. How long have you been franchising?
b. How many franchised businesses are you running at the moment?
c. How much working capital do I need?
d. What fees do you charge?
e. Do you train me? Who pays for my training? Where do I go for training?
f. What help will I receive in local advertising and promotion?
- Familiarise yourself with the timetable – There will be an array of free seminars, presentations and clinics to attend so review the schedule of events before the day so that you know where to be and when, so that you don’t miss out.
The Editorial Team, Point Franchise ©