If you’ve always dreamed of running your own business and you’re a huge lover of fast food - especially burgers - why not start your own burger franchise in 2022? There’s never been a better moment to enter this thriving sector, which enjoys high levels of repeat custom and plenty of consumer demand. Read on, and you’ll find out everything you need to know about a potential venture into the burger sector as a franchisee.
Franchising is a popular option across every UK industry today, but the business model came to prominence among quick-service restaurants, and there’s a reason: It works very, very well in the world of fast food. As a franchisee, you’ll be able to focus on the running of your business and the provision of excellent customer service. Meanwhile, your franchisor will be developing new menu items and offering you ongoing training and development opportunities. Win-win.
The burger industry in 2022
Like most industries, the UK burger industry was impacted by COVID-19, particularly during 2020 and early 2021 when lockdowns forced closures and income was massively affected (even when takeaways were still on the menu). Luckily, robust demand has since allowed burger restaurants up and down the UK to bounce back and return to full force. As it stands, burger businesses are generating plenty of revenue, introducing innovative technology and catering to new niche markets in 2022 to expand their custom and make themselves future-proof.
While none of us will look back fondly on the pandemic, through perseverance, ingenuity and technology, this period helped us fast track into a new era for the restaurant industry.
- Alex Canter, Forbes
The future of the burger sector for those planning to start a burger franchise
The burger industry looks bright, but what lies ahead? Hopefully, a lot more growth for those businesses that ARE becoming future-proof (mentioned above). Burger trends are changing right now, and they’ll continue to change in the future. It’s no longer enough to simply cater for the same customers that every other Burger King or local burger shop does. Instead, the future of the burger sector will be one in which a wider range of customers are provided for.
Vegan customers. Vegetarian customers. Gluten intolerant customers. Eco-conscious customers with a penchant for sustainable brands and carbon-footprint-reducing locally sourced ingredients. You name the customer, and you’ll likely see them catered for by burger brands and included in marketing campaigns in the next few years. Alongside a push to include more helpful tech in the kitchen, the expanding consumer base of burger businesses is something to watch out for as more and more market-leading US burger brands come to the UK.
The UK takeaway sector is booming as a result of the pandemic and changing consumer habits, which has proven to be attractive to chains looking to drive growth outside their domestic markets. US fast-food giant Wendy’s is the latest in a string of international fast-food chains to enter the UK market, with ambitious expansion plans for the future.
- Market Line, Verdict Food Service
The biggest advantages of running a burger business in 2022
There are many different advantages associated with running a burger franchise. General to franchising, there are benefits such as the provision of quality, expert support at all stages of the process and the ability to access an existing customer base. Specific to running a burger business, there is:
- The chance to join a highly competitive sector at a lower risk level
- The opportunity to capitalise on a huge amount of steady demand
- The room to grow and expand your business/investment in time
- The high potential for profitability and quick return on your initial investment
- The ability to shift as burger trends change, meeting new customer demands with ease
Start running a business in the burger sector with these burger franchise opportunities
Developed by the Rocket Restaurants Group, Rocket’s is a fast-casual burger chain with 49 restaurants across Ireland, Northern Ireland and Spain. You could facilitate the expansion of Rocket’s into the UK, benefitting from plenty of franchisor assistance and support.
- Becoming a Rocket’s franchisee: You should be a business-minded, ambitious person with a head for decision making. Hospitality/restaurant experience is preferred, but not required. Most importantly, you’ll need plenty of passion for the brand.
- How much you need to invest: To become a Rocket’s franchisee, you’ll need to make a minimum initial investment of £170,000, with franchise fees of £40,000 and a total investment cost of £200,000.
- What you get for your investment: You’ll be advised from the site sourcing stage onwards, helped to find, launch and run the perfect Rocket’s location. You’ll also benefit from the brand’s strong existing customer base and proven business model.
2. THE BUTCHER
THE BUTCHER is a haute fast food burger franchise that’s been winning awards for its delicious menu items since its founding in 2012. From Amsterdam to Manchester and Berlin to The Hague, this is a growing global brand with an army of loyal customers.
- Becoming a franchisee with THE BUTCHER: You should be business-minded with numerical skills, management ability and commercial understanding. Plus, most approved franchisees have hospitality experience in ownership/management.
- How much you need to invest: To become a franchisee with THE BUTCHER, you’ll need to make a minimum initial investment of £150,000, with franchise fees of £25,000 and a total investment cost of £300,000.
- What you get for your investment: You’ll be fully trained on everything from THE BUTCHER’s mission and values to how to make the perfect BUTCHER burger. You’ll receive marketing and PR support and plenty of help establishing your first location.
Enter the burger sector today and enjoy running a restaurant as a franchisee, capitalising on huge demand
Hopefully, you now have a strong understanding of how advantageous it could be for you to enter the burger sector of the fast food industry as a franchisee. If you’d like to continue your research, stick around on Point Franchise. Discover the top burger sector trends of 2022, five tips for running a burger franchise and how to choose, once and for all, the right burger franchise for you.
Cara Squires, Point Franchise ©