Has earning a living from the comfort of your own home always been your dream? Are you bored of the mundane nine-till-five work schedule? Or maybe you’re inquisitive about the home-based franchise opportunities out there since the outbreak of COVID-19? Well, you’re not alone.
Over four million Brits – 13.7 percent of the working population – choose to work from home, according to research by the Office for National Statistics in 2018 (which was an increase of 800,000 people in the last 10 years). At the moment, with the UK population and many other countries across the globe being told to stay at home, and work from home whenever possible, this number will be much, much higher at the moment.
Modern technology is the most substantial driving force behind the surge in people working from home and, with proven increases in employee productivity and information retention rates, more businesses are eager to allow for this – which, in time, will probably mean ditching the suit. Due to the myriad of benefits of working from home, even after the COVID-19 crisis has settled, you might find that you have grown to love working from home and even want to start your own home-based franchise. If so, you’ve come to the right place. Today we discuss our top home-based franchises for every investment level.
Reasons why starting a home-based franchise is a great idea
- Better work/life balance
- Ditch the dreaded commute
- Fewer overheads
To see a full rundown of the advantages of running a home-based business, click here.
Top 8 home-based franchises in the UK
Here are our top eight home-based businesses that are offering franchising opportunites.
£10,000 or under
Commercial fryers produce a lot of waste and can be very difficult to keep clean and hygienic. FiltaFry has opted to deliver a specialised kitchen extract cleaning service that provides on-site deep cleaning for commercial fryers, and a micro-filtration service for cooking oil to remove particulates.
- Becoming a FiltaFry franchisee: Having previous experience in the catering industry is looked on fondly but it isn’t a necessity. To find out more and apply, click here.
- How much you need to invest: This is a great option if you’re on a limited budget, with an initial minimum investment of just £5,000 it’s one of the lowest buy-ins on offer in the cleaning and catering sector. With funding support available, you’re looking at a total investment of around £15,000, which means you’ll see a quick return on your investment.
- What you get for your investment: In return, you’ll take part in a two-week training programme, an on-going eight-week development plan and have access to technical, sales and business support hotlines. This is to make sure you’re confident in your role and feel supported throughout your franchising journey.
>> Read more:
Promedica24 is a senior care agency that offers its clients 24-hour care in a variety of ways. Whether it’s emergency care, short-term or long-term care, the franchise provides first-class medical services as well as help and companionship. This allows people to live at home for longer without feeling like they're a burden on their loved ones.
- Becoming a Promedica24 franchisee: There’s no need to worry if you’ve never worked in this sector before. As a Promedica24 franchisee, you won’t be responsible for delivering the care yourself. To sign up, click here.
- How much you need to invest: In order to become a Promedica24 franchisee, you will need to make a minimum investment of £1,000 and a total investment of £40,000.
- What you get for your investment: You won’t have to be concerned with recruiting carers as this is all done for you. Your role as a Promedica24 franchisee is to find and sign up new clients so that you can develop and grow your business. You’ll also receive expert marketing support and have access to bespoke CRM systems.
3. Recognition Express
If you’re looking for a unique B2B franchise opportunity, the brand recognition specialist Recognition Express might be the right franchise for you. Helping companies achieve the highly sought-after ‘recognition factor’ with its wide range of customisable corporate gifts and brand merchandise, the innovative franchise is at the forefront of a £3 billion sector that has plenty of room for more ambitious businesspeople.
- Becoming a Recognition Express franchisee: If you’d class yourself as people person, this could be the opportunity for you. Click here to find out more.
- How much you need to invest: A minimum investment of £9,000 is required.
- What you get for your investment: Franchisees will benefit from 40 years of experience producing high-quality B2B personalised and promotional products, as well as take part in a comprehensive training programme and get all the equipment they need to start making a profit.
£20,000 or under
Aspray is recognised as one of the UK’s franchise leaders in the property claims handling industry. It specialises in building repairs and insurance claims management, bridging the gap between the claimant and insurer during negotiations.
- Becoming an Aspray franchisee: If you join this franchise, you’ll support clients when they need it most. You’ll specialise in project managing property damage insurance claims from inception to completion of repairs. To learn more and sign up, click here.
- How much you need to invest: A minimum investment of £15,000 is required.
- What you get for your investment: You’ll get high-quality training, admin support and marketing help. You’ll also be able to attend regional meetings and national conferences to upgrade your skills and expertise.
£30,000 or under
Inleaf installs and maintains plant displays for businesses, hotels and homes across the UK, from live walls to moss pictures. Although it works mainly with plants, flowers still constitute a large part of the business.
- Becoming an Inleaf franchisee: If you’re physically fit and have the ambition to provide a high-quality service to customers across your territory, Inleaf wants to talk to you. Click here to get the process started.
- How much you need to invest: You’ll need to raise a total initial investment of £22,750. This will generate an expected revenue of £116,448 after two years and grant you the rights to trade under the Inleaf name and brand image.
- What you get for your investment: The Inleaf franchise package includes a detailed operations manual and access to custom-built systems, which will help you produce professional and accurate quotes in minutes. You’ll also get expert training and mentoring throughout the first six months of your franchise journey.
£40,000 or under
6. Right at Home
In 2010, Ken Deary – who had previously won BFA Franchisee of the Year for McDonald’s – established Right At Home in the UK, building on the brand’s success in the US. Since its UK launch, the care franchise has gone on to open 60 franchise branches and has cultivated a reputation as a premium-quality home care business.
- Becoming a Right At Home franchisee: While investors will not be able to launch their business without sufficient funds, little knowledge or experience is necessary to set up a Right At Home franchise. In fact, 95 percent of the business’ franchisees have not had careers in the care industry. To get the ball rolling, click here.
- How much you need to invest: Right At Home asks for a minimum investment of £40,000.
- What you get for your investment: If the business model is adhered to, investors could expect to see a turnover of £400,000 in just two years. You’ll also have access to a comprehensive training programme and ongoing support network.
>> Read more:
7. Seniors Helping Seniors
This franchise addresses two of the biggest social problems in the UK today: elderly care and employment opportunities for older people. Seniors Helping Seniors is exactly what it says on the tin, and only employs carers over the age of 50, aiming to cultivate a truly personal service.
- Becoming a Seniors Helping Seniors franchisee: This opportunity is for candidates who want to take a managerial role. Therefore, previous care experience isn’t essential. It’s looking for franchisees based in the South East and East of the UK. To find out more and apply, click here.
- How much you need to invest: New franchisees will be supported in their new endeavour after investing a minimum of £35,000.
- What you get for your investment: You will benefit from operating under a reputable 20-year old brand that has developed a highly successful training programme.
£300,000 or under
8. Platinum Property Partners
This is the first property investment franchise in the world. Using Platinum Property Partners’ years of expertise for support, you’ll build a solid portfolio of specialist buy-to-let properties.
- Becoming a Platinum Property Partners franchisee: Click here to find out more about joining the Platinum Property network and the opportunity to earn £50,000-£150,000 a year.
- How much you need to invest: You need to make an investment of £300,000 to be accepted onto the franchise programme.
- What you get for your investment: You’ll take part in an intensive and ongoing training programme, delivered by a team of over 50 industry professionals, including accountants, letting agents and more.
Start a home-based business today
As you can see, it’s possible to operate a wide range of different businesses from the comfort of your own home, and many can be launched for under £10,000! If you need a point in the right direction, find out how to choose a home-based franchise that’s right for you here.
Becky Martin, Point Franchise ©