Working in an interior design franchise is incredibly rewarding; you get to help people create their dream space and enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done. Let’s explore the other advantages of being an interior designer and look at some of the franchise investment opportunities on offer for budding entrepreneurs.
Experts believe the global interior design industry is worth more than £86 billion and will rise to a value of over £91 billion next year (Statista). Given it was priced at £58 billion in 2013, the market holds lots of potential for those looking to start an interior design franchise business.
Why start an interior design franchise business?
It’s an interesting sector and you can expand your knowledge while out and about. Study interesting buildings and their stylings, and browse magazines or websites related to interior design. You’ll always have the chance to learn more about current trends, which will give you an edge in the market.
There are lots of opportunities to promote your business. Visit local markets and trade shows to network with lots of different people. Interior design also lends itself well to visual advertising, so you can also attract customers through magazine, television and online adverts.
You’ll benefit from word-of-mouth referrals. If you impress your customers, they’ll probably recommend you to others. And you can reach even more people by publishing attractive photographs of your work on social media. The more jobs you complete, the larger your portfolio will become and the more marketing materials you’ll have.
Running an interior design franchise business is lots of fun. You’ll have plenty of opportunities to get your creative juices flowing and create beautiful spaces. Also, every project is different, so you’ll never get bored.
>> Read more:
- Hit The Nail On The Head With a Home Improvement Franchise
- What qualifications do you need to run a home repair business?
- Top 5 home improvement franchises
- How to start a home repair business
- Top 8 Construction Businesses in the UK
- Day in the Life: What It Takes to Run a Successful Construction Business
Franchise options in the interior design industry
Founded in 1959, Schmidt has been designing, manufacturing and selling innovative, made-to-measure kitchen and bathroom furniture for six decades. It constructs its kitchens in six factories across Europe and displays them in 450 showrooms across 25 countries.
- Becoming a Schmidt franchisee: You’ll become part of a business with an annual turnover of more than £425 million, and you can expect to make up to £2 million per year. You won’t have to deal with stock, as orders are shipped directly to customers from the factory, and you’ll benefit from the company’s high levels of brand awareness.
- How much you need to invest: To join the group of 30 Schmidt franchisees currently operating in the UK, you’ll need to make a minimum investment of £80,000 and a total investment of £450,000.
- What you get for your investment: All Schmidt franchisees get the chance to enrol onto a 14-week induction programme involving theoretical and practical training as they set up their franchise unit. The kitchen franchise also offers support with writing a business plan, finding a suitable location, fitting the showroom and training branch employees.
Dream Doors is the UK’s largest kitchen renovations retailer and specialises in kitchen doors, worktops, sinks and appliances. It began life in 1999, adopted the franchise model in 2002, and has since developed a network of 75 franchise units.
- Becoming a franchisee: The ideal Dream Doors franchisee is passionate about the interior design industry and demonstrates excellent communication skills.
- How much you need to invest: To become a franchisee, you'll need to raise around £55,000. If you follow the business model, you could generate a six-figure yearly turnover.
- What you get for your investment: You’ll get the chance to take part in a 13-week training programme and receive regular visits from a dedicated in-territory support manager once you’re up and running. Plus, the franchisor team lends a hand when it comes to hiring your employees.
Inleaf installs and maintains plant displays for businesses, hotels and homes across the UK, from live walls to moss pictures. It’s offering would-be entrepreneurs the chance to start their own business creating innovative plant designs.
- Becoming an Inleaf franchisee: If you’re physically fit and have the ambition to provide a high-quality service to customers across your territory, Inleaf wants to talk to you.
- How much you need to invest: You’ll need to raise a total initial investment of £22,750. This will generate an expected revenue of £116,448 after two years and grant you the rights to trade under the Inleaf name and brand image.
- What you get for your investment: The Inleaf franchise package includes a detailed operations manual and access to custom-built systems, which will help you produce professional and accurate quotes in minutes. You’ll also get expert training and mentoring throughout the first six months of your franchise journey.
An interior design franchise with a difference, Christmas Decorators has found its niche and takes pride in being the only company of its kind in the UK. It has offices in 20 regions across the UK and Ireland, with professional and dedicated teams making sure all its decorating services exceed client expectations.
- Becoming a Christmas Decorators franchisee: As part of this franchise, you will install high-quality Christmas decorations and LED lights using the latest technology. Your clients will include top hotels, restaurants and prestigious retail and event venues.
- How much you need to invest: You will need a minimum investment of £7,600 to start your Christmas Decorators franchise unit.
- What you get for your investment: You will take part in a four-day quick-start training scheme, covering installation strategies, business planning, seasonal transitions and sales training. You’ll also get a complete sales and marketing programme and 24/7/365 technical support.
>> Read more:
- Franchising 101: The Official Franchise Start Up Checklist (Part 1)
- Franchising 101: The Official Franchise Start Up Checklist (Part 2)
- New Year, New Career: No Better Time Than Now to Start a Franchise Today
- Franchising 101: 8 Signs You're Ready to Start a Franchise
- Starting a New Business Doesn't Always Lead to Immediate Success: Here Are 5 Ways to Change That
- It's Never Too Late to Start a New Business
Start an interior design franchise business
The interior design industry is on the up, especially as people are spending more time in their homes and deciding to make improvements. Take a look at our full catalogue of interior design franchises to find your perfect business opportunity in this growing sector. You can sort the selection by each company’s popularity and investment cost.
In the current climate, you might be wondering about how you can operate an interior decorating business remotely. To find out, see our article, Sector Spotlight: How To Run An Interior Decorating Franchise From Home.
Alice Tuffery, Point Franchise ©