If you’re ready for a career change and you’d like to start running a franchise, why not consider a courier business? Courier services are consistently in demand across the UK, and the industry is only growing year on year. Read on to discover four of the best courier and delivery franchise investment options available to you right now.
Starting a courier franchise in the UK is a sound investment, with the industry worth almost £13 billion as of 2019 [Mintel] and franchising known to have an extremely low failure rate. If you’re ready to own a business with all the flexibility and far less risk, you’re ready to start your own road transport franchise in the courier and delivery sector.
Why start a courier franchise?
When considering why starting a courier franchise is a good idea, the biggest factor is the strong demand you’ll access. Recession-proof demand is something that many industries can’t enjoy, and the delivery industry is one of the only UK industries that was able to prosper during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, with online shopping purchases rising in almost every product category [UNCTAD]. Beyond demand, these are the key advantages of starting a courier franchise:
- You’ll benefit massively from the reputable brand name of your franchisor
- You’ll enjoy a dynamic, exciting professional life
- You’ll always have room to grow and expand
- You’ll be fully trained and supported in the franchise business model
- You’ll be able to invest at a low cost but reap huge financial rewards
- You’ll have the opportunity to work flexibly and set your own hours
>> Read more:
The 4 best delivery franchises in the UK
If you like what you’ve learned about a career as a courier, but you don’t know where to start your research into investment opportunities, keep reading. Point Franchise has gathered together four of the best courier franchise options for your perusal, and one of them is sure to be perfect for you...
1. Post & Packing
Post & Packing is a post shop for businesses, providing a range of services including archiving, packaging, storage and delivery. Founded in May 2012, the franchise has grown substantially since this time, and currently boasts 11 different locations across the UK. Post & Packing is proud to provide reliable, low-cost and hassle-free services to its customers up and down the country.
- Becoming a Post & Packing franchisee: To franchise with Post & Packing, you won’t need industry knowledge (it would be an advantage, but it’s not a necessity). You will, however, need to be dedicated to the franchise network and committed to growing your business.
- How much you need to invest: You’ll need to make a minimum initial investment of £35,000, with a total investment cost of £50,000 and operating, advertising and royalty fees charged at between £110 to £995 per month (depending on the required support).
- What you get for your investment: In return for your investment, you’ll be considered a partner in the business. You’ll be fully trained and supported during the initial stages and onwards, with marketing, sales and operational assistance always on hand.
2. World Options
World Options is an online courier booking service for busy UK businesses, enabling them to sort deliveries with ease and speed. Customers of World Options can choose from a range of worldwide courier options (hence the name). Founded in a single room in Manchester in 2003, World Options has come a long way and welcomed over 100 franchisees.
- Becoming a World Options franchisee: You don’t need industry experience to embark on a successful career with World Options. You simply need to be ambitious, passionate and determined.
- How much you need to invest: You’ll need to make a minimum initial investment of £35,000.
- What you get for your investment: In return for your investment, you’ll receive in-depth training and all the support you could ask for. You’ll be connected with and mentored by a franchise development manager, and help will only ever be a phone call away.
>> Read more:
- 5 Advantages of Franchising for Young People
- 9 Things to Know Before Becoming a Franchisee
- Mythbusters: Common Misconceptions About What Makes a Successful Franchisee
- 5 Great Reasons to Become a Franchisee
- Franchising 101: Are You Ready to Become a Franchisee?
- Franchising 101: 6 Things to Know Before Becoming a Franchisee
3. Mail Boxes Etc.
Mail Boxes Etc., or MBE for short, is a global brand with over 1,600 locations. First created back in 1980, the franchise of today is a huge operation which offers high-quality local and international delivery services to its customers, along with additional services such as packaging, print and copy designing, and mailbox rental.
- Becoming an MBE franchisee: If you’d like to become an MBE franchisee, you won’t need industry experience. You’ll simply need to be an energetic, ambitious person with the financial means to join the dynamic, growing network.
- How much you need to invest: You’ll need to make a minimum initial investment of £25,000, with a total investment cost of £60,000.
- What you get for your investment: In return for your investment, you’ll receive a comprehensive programme of training which covers every aspect of the MBE business model. You’ll then be fully supported and continually educated by MBE, with a specialist team always on hand to assist.
4. Speedy Freight
Speedy Freight is the UK’s leading same-day courier and freight service, with over 2000 vans on the roads. Packages are picked up within an hour, and packages of any size can be collected and delivered for clients of any kind. Founded in 2006, the business is now a nationally competitive franchise, with over 30 franchisees commanding its impressive fleet of delivery vans.
- Becoming a Speedy Freight franchisee: You don’t need industry-specific experience to franchise with Speedy Freight, but some managerial skills would be extremely helpful. These should be combined with a strong desire to succeed and a willingness to commit to the franchise.
- How much you need to invest: You’ll need to make a minimum initial investment of £38,500.
- What you get for your investment: In return for your investment, you’ll be provided with all the furniture, marketing materials, technology and software that you need. You’ll then be fully trained and supported on an ongoing basis by your franchisor, who will always be there to guide and assist you with the growth of your business.
Start running your own business in the courier industry today
If you’re ready to start running your own business in the courier and delivery industry, you now have a great idea of what’s out there for you, waiting for your investment. Find out more about the wider world of franchising and what it means to be a franchisee by continuing your research on Point Franchise. Discover important information like how to set employee wages, or how to handle franchise territory disputes.
Lily Sweeney, Point Franchise ©