One of the best ways to improve your understanding of a topic is to seek out industry publications. Podcasts and magazines are particularly useful; you can brush up on your knowledge while relaxing at home and their content is normally interesting and easily digestible. Here are some of the best finance industry publications.
The finance sector offers high income potential and the chance to help others take control of their money. At the start of 2020, the financial services industry enjoyed a revenue of roughly £130 billion in the UK. It also had a workforce of over a million people, which equates to 3.2 percent of all employed individuals (UK Parliament).
You only have to look at the past few years to see just how much the economy can change in a short space of time. So, it’s important for business owners to stay ahead of industry news. Here are some of the best finance sector podcasts and magazines to investigate.
Podcasts to listen to
- Future of Finance - UK Finance started recording this podcast to analyse trends in the industry and discuss how businesses can combat future challenges. Speakers include the former Senior Adviser to Mark Carney, Governor of Bank of England, as well as representatives from UK Finance and Microsoft.
- The Financial Times News Briefing - This daily podcast is a 10-minute run-down of the biggest stories affecting the finance industry across the world. Use it to stay up to date with the news without dedicating hours of your day.
- The Financial Times, Banking Weekly - If you’re interested in the banking sector, listen to this podcast, created by the FT’s team of experts. It’s released every Tuesday and provides high-quality guidance on investing your money.
- LIBF Banking & Finance - For a deep dive into a huge variety of topics, try this podcast by The London Institute of Banking and Finance (LIBF). It covers subjects including digitalisation, sustainability and career opportunities.
- LIBF Financial Adviser - This podcast is aimed specifically at financial advisors and provides insight into the biggest topics in the finance industry. It’s a great resource for those offering advice as part of their job.
- LIBF Trade Finance - If trade finance is your thing, this podcast could help you boost your know-how. Some episodes are worth one Continuous Professional Development (CPD) hour.
- Exchanges at Goldman Sachs - Every week, experts from the investment banking firm provide their thoughts and insight on some of the key topics in the finance industry. Rather than focusing on news stories and trends, speakers discuss various ideas and subjects.
- Bloomberg Surveillance - You can track down the finance industry’s latest news stories in this podcast. It’s released every weekday as a half-hour programme to help you stay up to date and on track.
- Bloomberg Masters in Business - Through interviews with high-profile guest speakers, Bloomberg unpicks complex subjects from across the finance industry. These weekly podcasts look at how people and ideas can shape markets.
- Morgan Stanley Ideas Podcast - You can access advice and guidance on a diverse selection of topics in this seasonal podcast. Areas up for discussion include business, finance and technology, so it can help you develop a rounded understanding of the industry.
- The Wall Street Lab - For valuable insight from a pool of high-flying industry experts, check out this twice-monthly podcast, which features interviews with seasoned pros on a series of complex concepts.
- Bigger Pockets - Real estate investors - or would-be investors - can boost their understanding of the sector with the Big Pockets podcast. The hosts interview a wide range of guests from a variety of professional backgrounds.
>> Read more:
Magazines to read
- Financial Management (FM) - Created by the Association of International Certified Professional Accountants, this publication provides an in-depth look at some of the finance industry’s most pressing topics and trends. You can catch up on previous issues online.
- Global Finance - Join presidents, CEOs, CFOs, treasurers and other senior financial officers across 163 countries in taking advantage of Global Finance’s monthly insights. The magazine has a history stretching back to 1987 and offices in New York, London and Milan.
- The Economist - With a focus on the connection between business and politics, The Economist explores topics related to all aspects of the finance industry, as well as science and technology. It offers insight into global issues and is released on a weekly basis.
- MoneyWeek - This is the UK’s best-selling finance magazine. It helps people make better decisions when it comes to investment and covers breaking news stories across the fields of politics and economics.
>> Read more:
How to stay informed with industry publications
There is a huge selection of podcasts and magazines available for those who want to learn more about the finance industry; we’ve only mentioned some of the most well-known ones. If you have a particular area of interest, it’s worth doing a quick Google search to uncover the publications relevant to you. Chances are, you’ll find something interesting - and informative.
The best bit? It’s easy to stick on a podcast or flick through a magazine while you get on with your day. So, you don’t have to make time to sit down and improve your knowledge in one, tiring session.
To gain confidence and make contacts within the sector, you could also consider attending finance industry events. Business expos, webinars and conferences take place throughout the year, both in person and virtually, and they’re great learning and networking opportunities.
You can also find thousands of data-driven business guides right here at Point Franchise. Every day, we release informative articles across a huge range of topics relating to finance and franchise management. See our catalogue of recently-published guides or use the search bar to find specific information.
Alice Tuffery, Point Franchise ©