Beautiful, historic Wales is a place of beaches, castles and rolling hills. It’s also home to the bustling capital city of Cardiff, which is consistently ranked as one of the best places to live in the entire UK. Considering starting a franchise in Wales? Here are a few great investment opportunities available to you.
“Franchising in the UK” often gets reduced to “Franchising in England”, but in Wales, there’s a world of possibilities and a population of people ready to become your customer base. Set yourself up for success in a location full of potential with a Welsh franchise opportunity.
The advantages of franchising in Wales
The franchise market is underrepresented in Wales, and that’s a mistake. Cities like Cardiff and Swansea are full of opportunity, and even the large, open areas of countryside can be used to your advantage if you’re working under a franchisor who knows what they’re doing, and you’re assigned a large operational territory.
As a Welsh franchisee, you’ll benefit from the tourism that Welsh beaches and coastal locations pull in - a number which continues to increase. In 2019, for example, there were over 10.294 million overnight trips to Wales [Welsh Government]. And, of course, you’ll have access to a supportive network of Welsh franchisees.
There is a wealth of Wales-based professionals who can assist in the development of franchise brands and businesses. There are also a number of dedicated franchise groups that hold regular meetings in Wales, including EWIF (Encouraging Women into Franchising) and also the AFA (Approved Franchise Association).
Four great Welsh franchise opportunities
1. Jam Coding
As a Jam Coding franchisee, you’ll have the opportunity to shape children’s minds and lives by running workshops which teach them the basics of computer coding. Jam Coding was founded by a teacher and coder who saw an urgent need for the younger generation to learn skills that would help them to prosper in an increasingly digital future.
According to the computer franchise, “The appetite for Jam Coding is phenomenal. For parents and schools to know they can access our fun, safe and educational programs is a refreshing change from the usual menu of programs and services they are able to access. The business model is unique and means that we can help schools with their entire provision without the need for heavy investment in upskilling and resources.”
Jam Coding franchise opportunities are available in Wales. To become a Jam Coding franchisee, you’ll need to make a total investment of £19,950. After two years, your expected revenue will be £127,000, and in return for your investment, you’ll receive:
- A five year saleable franchise agreement
- A training package
- An operational territory containing a minimum of 200 schools
- Five school set ups
- A management training course
- Full product and service training
- Client relationship management software training
- All the software/hardware required, including stop motion and robotics equipment
- All the literature, stationery and other tools required
- A year-long insurance policy
- A year-long membership to the Federation of Small Businesses
You won’t need any prior IT or teaching experience to become a Jam Coding franchisee. The perfect franchisee, in Jam Coding’s eyes, would simply be:
- Good at communicating
- Willing to learn
- Able to manage staff and customers
- Motivated, positive and fun
- Able to follow proven processes
- Determined to grow a thriving franchise business
- Passionate about preparing young people for the future
- Organised and strategic
>> Read more:
- Franchising 101: The Complete Guide to Franchise Costs in the UK
- Franchising 101: How to Buy a Franchise Business in 10 Steps
- Franchising 101: The Official Franchise Start Up Checklist (Part 1)
- Franchising 101: Top 5 Qualities of a Franchisee
- Franchising 101: 6 Tips for Building Customer Loyalty Through Marketing
- Franchising 101: The Pros and Cons of Franchising Your Business
- Franchising 101: 6 Top Contributors of Franchise Failure
2. Hybrid Fitness
Hybrid Fitness first opened in 2018. The gym franchise’s boutique fitness studios provide an inclusive, community-driven option for working out, combining all that you’d normally find in a gym environment with high-end strength and conditioning spaces. Hybrid Fitness was developed by fitness professionals with a combined 80 years of experience in the industry.
Hybrid Fitness franchise opportunities are available in Wales. To become a Hybrid Fitness franchisee, you’ll need to make an initial investment of £50,000, with total investment costs of £225,000. After two years, your expected annual revenue will be £250,000. Deep research and analysis goes into the selection of each Hybrid Fitness location, and all franchisees are offered comprehensive support and training.
The franchise keeps an open mind about franchisees - they offer such extensive training that experience isn’t their top priority. Instead, Hybrid Fitness are looking for a franchisee that is hard-working, personable and passionate about health and fitness. A background in business would be preferable, but not essential.
>> Read more:
- 5 Qualities of a Successful Franchisor
- 4 Things Franchisees Never Have Time for But Are Essential for Running a Successful Business
- How to Launch a Franchise and Get Noticed
- 4 Elements of a Successful Franchise
- How to Start a New Business on a Shoe-String Budget
- The Ultimate Guide to Franchising Success
FASTSIGNS first came into existence in 1985, in Dallas, Texas. A year later, the business expanded into the franchising sector, first reaching the UK in 1992. The sign franchise, which offers graphic and visual communication solutions to a huge range of businesses, has grown at an extensive rate, and is now established in over 19 countries, with over 675 operational centres.
To spearhead a Welsh expansion of FASTSIGNS, you’ll need to make an initial investment of £36,000, with total investment costs of £120,000. In return for your investment, you’ll be given:
- A protected operational territory
- Assistance in choosing a location
- Industry-leading expert training
- Pre-opening marketing campaign support
- Grand opening support
- Access to dedicated business consultants
- Access to the franchisee mentoring programme
- Access to 24-hour web-based learning management
- Outside sales support
Due to the extensive training and support provided, no industry experience is required. However, the ideal Fastsigns franchisee would be motivated, hard-working and enthusiastic about the job.
SportsCool educates, motivates and encourages children to participate in exercise, making a difference to their confidence and improving their health and wellbeing. The sports franchise encourages young people to be the best that they can be, giving everyone a chance to get involved. SportsCool sessions cover a huge range of sports, from football to dodgeball to yoga to street dance. There’s something for every child to enjoy.
SportsCool franchisees are well supported following their initial investment of £24,995, receiving:
- Guaranteed customers on day one
- Comprehensive initial training
- A larger-than-average franchise territory
- Continual training days
- Ongoing sales support
- 24/7 franchisor support
- Ongoing NGB (National Governing Bodies) qualifications
- All the necessary equipment and marketing materials
- A dedicated website and social media presence
The ideal SportsCool franchisee would be passionate about working with children and developing physical activity in schools. They would be able to follow a business model, work hard, and have fun on the job. They would be a people person with a strong desire to succeed. If you feel you meet these criteria, why not consider opening a SportsCool franchise in Wales?
Start a franchise in Wales today
If you’re tempted by the prospect of franchising in Wales, there are many different options out there for you. If these four examples have piqued your interest, but none feel quite right, continue your research. Browse more franchising opportunities in Wales and gain a clear picture of your perfect option.
Cara Squires, Point Franchise ©