Whether attending religiously every day of the week, or heading in for an occasional fitness session, people love the gym. It’s the cornerstone of health in British culture, and over the past couple of decades, gym life has become an all-consuming aspect of keeping fit. Whether you want to pump weights, hit the treadmill or enjoy a regular class, the gym is your friend. And since gyms aren’t going anywhere, perhaps now is the time to cash in on this perpetually flourishing sector.
With over 7.2 thousand health and fitness clubs in the United Kingdom, and over 10 million combined members [Statista, 2021], it’s well worth getting involved with the fitness sector. And with franchising opportunities across the country, there’s plenty of scope for you to make a career change with a gym franchise. But with its global reputation and great franchising package, does Gold’s Gym franchise in the UK?
Does Gold’s Gym franchise in the UK?
With gym locations in Harrow, Dagenham, Hounslow and Hanwell, Gold’s Gym’s is unfortunately not currently looking to open any more franchising locations in the UK.
However, if you are still dead set on a career with a gym or fitness franchise, then don’t worry. There are plenty of other opportunities in this sector available based within the UK, so your dream of a gym franchise is still very much alive. According to Statista, the market size of the fitness club industry in the United Kingdom grew to more than two billion British pounds in the years leading up the pandemic - and with a post-Covid recovery well on its way, you can be confident that its a sector that can offer all sorts of exciting and prosperous opportunities.
The history of Gold’s Gym
The world-famous Gold’s Gym opened its doors for the first time in 1965, in Venice Beach, California. It was a pioneering institution, existing long before modern health clubs existed, and has since been named ‘the Mecca of bodybuilding’ by many - in particular because of its famous clientele, which included Arnold Schwarzenegger and Dave Draper.
After changing hands throughout the following decades, the Gold’s Gym business saw rapid expansion in the nineties, and now boasts more than 600 locations across the world. After beginning its franchise journey in 1980 with company licences for fitness equipment and clothing, Gold’s Gym is now a highly sought-after franchise in the US - and has established four locations here in the UK.
>> Read more:
Over the last 55 years, Gold’s Gym has developed into a global brand with over 600 locations spanning 6 continents. Bodybuilding greats such as Arnold Schwarzenegger, Lou Ferrigno and Franco Columbu worked out at the original Gold’s Gym, which went on to become the most legendary gym in the world.
- Gold’s Gym
Start a franchise in the fitness sector
While Gold’s Gym doesn’t franchise in the UK, there is still plenty of reason to be upbeat about the fitness sector - not least because there are plenty of opportunities for you to make a career change and get started with one of the many gym franchises in the UK. Learn more about some of the opportunities available below.
Offering some of the most popular gym and fitness experiences in the UK, TRIB3 is a winner with gym-lovers and franchisees alike. A global franchise, TRIB3 spans seven countries and offers the ultimate HIIT group classes. Its use of cutting edge tech and gamification offers customers an unforgettable experience, reflected in 80% of monthly franchisee revenue coming from repeat business.
- Becoming a TRIB3 Franchisee: TRIB3 welcomes people from a variety of backgrounds to join as franchisees. Being passionate about people and providing a great work-out experience is key - and any previous experience in the gym or fitness sector will be extremely useful on your TRIB3 journey.
- How much you need to invest: To become a TRIB3 franchisee, you’ll require a minimum investment of between £137,000 and £309,000.
- What you get for your investment: Your investment in TRIB3 will see your package tiered to ensure the process and ongoing training works for you. Throughout your TRIB3 journey, support is on hand from an expert team with years of experience in the industry and established systems and processes. Plus, you’ll have access to a global franchise with access to world-class branding and a huge potential customer base.
2. Fitness Rush
With low prices and high standards, Fitness Rush is a successful and accessible gym franchise for everyone.
>> Read more:
Fitness Rush was created so everyone can have the opportunity to enjoy a fit and healthy lifestyle. So, we made it simple, affordable & enjoyable for everyone to surpass their personal fitness goals. No matter whether they are a beginner or professional athlete, young or old, we'll make it happen. We have listened to our clients and dedicated the gym to them.
- Fitness Rush
Offering gym-goers both in-person and mobile gym access, this innovative gym franchise is changing the face of fitness for the better - and you could be a part of it.
- Becoming a Fitness Rush Franchisee: Getting on board the Fitness Rush franchise will see you join a dedicated team of franchisees that want to help communities while cashing in on the flourishing fitness sector. Franchisees will speak to the Fitness Rush consultant about whether they are a good fit, after which there will be a meeting to ensure it’s a good fit for both parties. If you’re passionate about all things fitness and are dedicated to making your franchise a success, you’ll be a likely candidate.
- How much you need to invest: To become a Fitness Rush franchisee, you’ll need to make a minimum investment of £25,000. The total amount you’ll pay is likely to depend on various factors, but this should come to around £100,000.
- What you get for your investment: Joining the Fitness Rush franchise will see you join a business that wants you to succeed. As their Point Franchise profile says: We already know that our success relies on yours”. With your investment you’ll receive initial and ongoing training, as well as support in finding your location and for marketing your franchise.
Make a career change and find your perfect fitness franchise today
Hopefully you’ll now be savvy about franchising opportunities in the UK’s gym and fitness sector, despite Gold’s Gym not franchising in the UK.
There’s also plenty more to learn about the sector on Point Franchise, such as what a day in the life of a gym franchisee looks like or how to start your own gym franchise. Alternatively, check out our UK franchise directory for a complete list of franchising opportunities in the UK.
Charlie Cottrell, Point Franchise ©