Being healthy and looking great have always been high up on people’s priority lists. But the fitness industry is now bigger than ever, as more and more people are taking out gym memberships to improve their wellbeing. Here, we ask: Does Planet Fitness franchise?
The number of Brits who have a gym membership is higher than ever before, as more than 10 million people now frequent their local fitness facility. There are over 7,200 gyms up and running across the UK and the sector is worth more than £5 billion for the first time in history (LeisureDB).
Most gyms are no longer seen as intimidating places, but instead as spaces for people from all walks of life to exercise without embarrassment or fear. Affordable gym memberships are now in demand, as the desire to get fit becomes increasingly widespread.
Planet Fitness bases its business model on these two values, inclusivity and affordability. It aims to create a safe environment where everyone can exercise comfortably - in short, a ‘judgement free zone’. The business’s slogans like “No Gymtimidation” help to promote its values in a fun way. Planet Fitness offers exercise machines, free weights, fitness training services and ancillary products.
Does Planet Fitness franchise?
Yes. Planet Fitness is a recognisable brand in the US but relatively unknown here in the UK. In 2003, it launched a franchise model to support the business’s global expansion. While most of the gyms in the franchise are stateside, the brand is keen to continue its international growth, and is looking for investors to add to its UK network.
Visit the Planet Fitness franchising webpage to find out more about its expansion and how you can get involved. You can also get in touch with the business to ask about potential investment opportunities.
>> Read more:
History of Planet Fitness
Back in 1992, Michael Grondahl took over a failing gym in the US. He lowered membership prices and created a non-judgemental place for people to work out. And so, Planet Fitness was born.
Over the years, the business expanded into new locations, and by 2003, when it launched its franchise model, there were five branches in the network. Since then, Planet Fitness has achieved a rapid expansion rate, and there are currently more than 2,000 gyms in operation.
The brand now has a presence across the US and Canada, as well as in Latin America and Australia. It’s also attracted a total of over 15 million gym members internationally.
We’re going after the 80 percent of the population that doesn’t have a gym membership.
— Chris Rondeau, Planet Fitness CEO
Chief Executive Christopher Rondeau puts the business’s success down to a “growing consumer shift towards health and wellness”. He believes Planet Fitness is doing so well because of its “unique fitness experience”, which is based on a model championing affordability and inclusivity.
You can join a Planet Fitness gym for as little as £15.99 per month and one of its most attractive elements for women is its ladies-only exercise space. Plus, members who are part of the gym’s Black Card scheme get additional benefits, including access to all Planet Fitness gyms across the world.
>> Read more:
- 5 Advantages of Running a Sports, Fitness or Gym Franchise
- The Best Around-The-Clock Fitness Franchises in the UK
- How to Start Your Own Outdoor Fitness Business
- Sector Spotlight: The CEOs Whipping the Sports, Fitness, and Gym Industry Into Tip-Top Shape
- 6 Tips for Building a Business Plan for a Successful Sports, Fitness, or Gym Franchise
Starting a Planet Fitness franchise unit
Planet Fitness is a brand to look out for if you’d like to start a gym business with a large potential customer pool. By offering reasonably priced membership plans and a friendly atmosphere, you’ll have a large target market, and should be able to attract people who wouldn’t normally visit a gym.
- Becoming a Planet Fitness franchisee: Get in touch today if you’d like to become a franchisee with the brand. It’s looking for people who would like to set up a unit, and those who already own a gym and would like to convert it to a Planet Fitness business.
- How much you need to invest: The initial franchise fee should be around £15,300, but the franchise hasn’t revealed how much it might cost to set up a Planet Fitness gym from scratch. Prices can vary depending on the business and your location, but you should be prepared to invest between £950,000 and £4 million to set up a fitness franchise unit.
- What you get for your investment: All franchisees and managers get the chance to take part in Planet Fitness’s official training scheme. It’s a comprehensive course, covering everything from how to operate and maintain all the exercise equipment to everyday operations, including cost and inventory control, and business management. The training programme involves both hands-on learning and classroom teaching to give you a thorough introduction to the company.
Join the fitness sector
Planet Fitness is just one of the gym franchises looking for investors to help take its brand to new locations. Head to its website to find out more about becoming a franchisee, or take a look at our range of fitness franchises currently open for applications.
We also have a wide variety of other franchises from across the gym, sport and beauty sectors. You can find investment opportunities with businesses as diverse as walking groups, swim schools and mobile feet clinics. Browse the selection to find your perfect franchise; you can sort the list by the businesses’ popularity and investment cost.
Alternatively, why not learn more about the wonderful world of franchising? Whether you’re a seasoned franchisor or a complete newbie, you’ll find plenty of interesting articles right here at Point Franchise. Click on the link to see our full catalogue of resources.
Alice Tuffery, Point Franchise ©