Ever thought about running your own business with an oven cleaning franchise? While you might think brands in the sector would be fairly similar in their model and operational strategies, there are a few things to consider before you choose your franchise.
Cleaning the oven has got to be one of the most hated chores out there, and many people are all too happy to leave it to the professionals. Although hiring an oven cleaner comes with a price tag, it eliminates a laborious and time-consuming job for homeowners.
There are over 27 million households in the UK, all of which have a hob and an oven that need cleaning regularly. So, given every homeowner has the responsibility of dealing with mucky kitchen appliances, there’s a huge market out there for oven cleaning franchises.
1. Oven cleaner or manager
When you go to select an oven cleaning franchise opportunity, one of the first things you’ll need to think about is the nature of the role you take on. Would you prefer to provide the cleaning service yourself, visiting clients in their properties, or manage a team of skilled employees?
Some franchises offer both options, but others will expect you to manage operations and hire staff, so it’s important you explore opportunities with your chosen career path in mind.
Choosing the right franchise as an oven cleaner or manager
If you opt to manage a team of employees, you must be prepared to demonstrate excellent leadership skills. Oven cleaning can be tough work, and your staff will spend a lot of time on the road, so you’ll need to be able to inspire and motivate them to complete their job to a high standard.
On the other hand, if you intend to carry out the work yourself, you should be a people-person, able to deliver great customer service. Plus, you must be happy to keep going when you’re tired or frustrated.
>> Read more:
2. Franchises with the potential to expand into a multi-van operation
It’s worth thinking about your long-term aspirations when you review different oven cleaning franchise opportunities. Some franchisors will ask their investors to start off as a single-van unit and later expand into a multi-van operation by hiring other cleaners.
Before you get too far with the application process, make sure you’ve singled out the franchise packages allowing you to fulfil your goals. Also, if you’re keen to continue carrying out jobs yourself, find out whether the franchisor expects you to step back from your customer-facing role when you hire other cleaners.
Choosing the right franchise with the potential to expand into a multi-van operation
If you’re ambitious, organised and willing to relinquish an element of control, you might make a great multi-van unit operator. You should also have a good head for business growth and an approachable manner, so you can work effectively with your staff.
3. Franchises offering oven cleaning as part of a more general service
If you’re interested in providing oven cleaning services, you don’t necessarily have to join a franchise specialising in the task. Some cleaning businesses offer kitchen-based work as well as a range of other chores.
Even if you’ve settled on the oven cleaning sector, you may want to widen your search to cleaning franchises in general. Although you wouldn’t be offering a niche service to beat the competition, you would have a larger customer base. While only a small proportion of people hire an oven cleaner, many more use professional cleaners throughout their homes.
Choosing the right franchise offering oven cleaning as part of a more general service
There are two main reasons why you might choose this route. Firstly, you might be interested in completing jobs yourself, and enjoy varying your day with different tasks. Secondly, you may value the benefits of opening up your future business to a wide demographic.
Joining the oven cleaning franchise sector
Before we end this guide, there are a few other factors to consider before choosing an oven cleaning franchise:
- Multiple services - If you want to stick to the kitchen-based cleaning services, why not expand your income potential? Some oven cleaning franchises also give range cookers, extractor fan hoods and barbecues a refresh, allowing franchisees to access additional revenue streams.
- Specialist equipment - Oven cleaning can be notoriously difficult, but having the right equipment can help enormously. Many franchises use tools like dip tanks and specialist cleaning products to get appliances sparkling in record time, so do some research before investing. Choosing wisely could help you save a lot of time and stress - and earn more money in the long run.
- Memberships - Franchises with membership to industry bodies can provide investors with customer incentives, high-quality professional development resources and networking events. For instance, OvenGleamers is part of the British Institute of Cleaning Science and the Trading Standards Approved Buy With Confidence Scheme.
- Advertising - Some oven cleaning franchises are more recognisable than others. If you’re looking for a business with high brand awareness, you could opt for one with national television adverts or other high-profile marketing activity.
- Sustainability - These days, more and more people are aware of the environmental impact of harmful products, so it’s worth exploring franchises with sustainable working practices. For example, Ovenu has its own exclusive line of eco-friendly EVA-approved cleaning solutions.
>> Read more:
- Secure Your Future with a SafeClean Franchise
- 7 Advantages of Opening a Commercial Cleaning Franchise
- Is It Your Time to Shine With a Cleaning Services Franchise?
- Professional Cleaning Services Franchise: From Rags to Riches
- Domestic Cleaner Franchises That Will Make You Sparkle
- Techclean: What's Involved in Starting a Franchise?
Hopefully, this guide has given you some inspiration when it comes to selecting a high-quality oven cleaning franchise. Consider all these factors, and you’ll be well on the way to securing your ideal business opportunity.
If you’re ready to start exploring oven cleaning franchise openings, why not take a look at our range of high-quality investment packages in the sector? Alternatively, you could read our run-down of the top four oven cleaning franchises in the UK.
Alice Tuffery, Point Franchise ©