The mythbuster series tackles any misconceptions people tend to have about starting a franchise. In this article, we’re going to debunk the belief that you need to be an expert in order to start up a franchise and discuss why that isn’t the case.
Running your own business is not typically something you can do without experience or knowledge of your industry. Because of this, many people think that investing in a franchise means that the franchisor expects you to be an expert in business as well as the specific sector in which the franchise is based.
A huge 97 percent of current franchises are running in profitability, so the reality is that, although some previous experience may help you along the way, you needn’t be an expert in the industry in order to become a successful franchisee.
In fact, many franchises offer intensive training and support on both the business side and the industry you’re getting into. Here are some franchises that offer comprehensive training packages.
Franchises that offer training
Franchisors tend not to expect prospective franchisees to already be a business expert. Since the franchise already has the name, the resources and the funds, it can provide the training necessary to recruit anyone to set up and run more branches of their business.
Here are some examples of franchises on Point Franchise that offer great, in-depth training.
This fitness franchise offers 20-minute work-out classes for those who have little or no time to exercise between work. The beauty of investing in Bodystreet is that the fitness classes have been tried and tested and already proven successful, with membership rates 60 percent above average.
- Becoming a Bodystreet franchisee: If you've got a positive attitude, are ambitious and have a hands-on approach, you could have what it takes to run your own franchise location. To learn more and sign up, click here.
- How much you need to invest: In order to start your own Bodystreet franchise unit, you'll need a minimum investment of £10,000.
- What you get for your investment: In partnership with one of the UK's leading providers, the innovative franchise has developed a training programme. This means that franchisees and their teams can undergo industry recognised training at a fraction of the cost.
This franchise is known as the UK’s number one estate agency board services franchise. If property is your passion, then read on.
- Becoming an Agency Express franchisee: This franchise offers low start-up costs and family-friendly working hours. To learn more and sign up, click here.
- How much you need to invest: You'll need to make a minimum investment of £24,500 and you can expect to make a revenue of £40,000 after two years.
- What you get for your investment: The training provided by Agency Express is extensive. Franchisees will take part in an 8-day training programme with the Agency team and will receive on-going support from the franchise whenever they need it. The franchise will also supply some of the best tools in the industry to help make your business a success. SignMaster 3, their unique online board ordering system, reduces paperwork and Agency Express’s Centralised Accounts Department takes care of any and all invoices.
The French beauty products supplier and salon franchise is a leader in the industry, not only in the UK, but around the globe.
- Becoming a Guinot franchisee: Guinot doesn't specify that prospective franchisees should have experience in the field; like many franchises, it's simply looking for entrepreneurs with a drive to learn and succeed. To learn more and sign up, click here.
- How much you need to invest: The investment required from potential franchisees ranges from £85,000 to £125,000.
- What you get for your investment: To really reach a strong level of expertise, Guinot puts your business abilities to the test in their comprehensive training programme. The initial induction session last for a week and are held at the Guinot head office. You will learn about various aspects of running a business, such as daily operations, brand knowledge, marketing and salon software. Guinot will support you in launching your outlet through special assistance in merchandising, teaching you all about retail and the best practices. After all that, on-going support is always available from the head office. There is even an interactive mobile app that get can give you quick answers to the most common questions.
The famous fast-food franchise stands above the competition when it comes to providing intensive and professional training.
- Becoming a Subway franchisee: Investors should have expertise in the market and display good time management and communication skills. You should also be prepared to abide by its procedures and follow the training and site selection processes. To learn more and sign up, click here.
- How much you need to invest: To be accepted as a franchisee, you'll need to make a minimum investment of £85,570, but you can get a bank loan for up to 70 percent of the cost.
- What you get for your investment: Once your application is successful, new franchise owners are expected to attend a two-week training course at the Subway Centre located in Cambridge before they open their store. The course gives an insight on how the business is run, from classroom-based to hands-on sessions in one of the stores. Similar training is provided for Subway store managers, so they can be equally as clued up on the ins-and-outs of the way the business works. Subway even boasts its own online university, with more than 400 courses for franchise owners and staff.
Starting a franchise has never been so easy
The reality is, no one needs to be an expert in business to become a franchisee. Complete novices in any industry have the opportunity to start up a franchise with the know-how of a well-established company supporting them all the way. To browse more franchise opportunities, take a look at our directory.
Georgina Crothers, Point Franchise ©