Thinking about running a franchise with family? There are lots of franchise opportunities that are ideal if you’d like to start a family-run franchise, from low-cost, part-time options to seriously lucrative investments you can recruit the whole clan to run. We’re going to take you through four of the most exciting franchise opportunities for families.
While a family-run franchise sounds like hell to some people, the idea of working with family might be your dream scenario. You’ll get to build a business with the people you’re closest to and enjoy the profits together as a family unit. It can be tricky to know where to start in your hunt for the perfect franchise opportunity. Luckily, we’ve rounded up four of the most exciting industries to start a family-run business in, whether you’re an ambitious bunch looking for a challenge or seeking something every generation can get involved with.
Franchise opportunities for families
Most franchises can be run by families, but different opportunities will suit the level of commitment you and your relatives are looking for. If you’re keen to run your business full-time while your retired parent wants to help out just a few days a week, many franchises offer the flexibility required. You could handle day-to-day work, like visiting clients, carrying out work and chasing up new business, while your mum or dad looks after the diary and general admin. But if you and several members of your family want an opportunity that will keep you busy all week, plenty of franchise opportunities are fully scalable, meaning that, once you’re up and running, your workloads will only be limited by your ambitions.
Home care franchise
It’s estimated that the UK’s home care market is worth £5.2 billion and, as our elderly population continues to increase, is only set to grow. The care sector is also a highly recession-proof industry, as it’s an essential service for the most vulnerable in our communities that is always needed. What’s more, many care franchises offer you the chance to open multiple territories, making it ideally suited to families. You can do the groundwork with your first business before recruiting other members of your family to open new locations or offices with your help.
Radfield Home Care
This is a family-run business that has been providing care for more than 30 years. Radfield Home Care employees deliver everything from companionship and help with shopping to laundry and full, live-in care. You can own and operate multiple territories to provide care across the nation with this home care franchise.
- Becoming a Radfield Home Care franchisee: You’ll need to have a real desire to make the lives of vulnerable and elderly people in your community better, and the drive to make your business profitable. You won’t need any previous experience, as you’ll enlist the help of a registered care manager to look after the services you provide. Your role will be to grow your business and increase awareness in your community.
- How much you need to invest: You’ll need to make a total investment of £90,000, which includes your franchisee fees (£30,000 + VAT), but funding support is available from high street banks. You’ll also need to pay an advertising fee (1% + VAT of turnover) and a royalty fee (5% + VAT of turnover) every year.
- What you get for your investment: You’ll receive valuable support in key areas of the business such as recruitment, marketing and compliance to make sure you get your profitable business up and running in good time. Franchisees will be enrolled onto a 20-day training programme to learn the ropes and will be able to access support any time they need.
Dog Walking Franchise
If you are a family of dog lovers, starting a dog walking franchise is a great way of working together and doing something you enjoy. You could choose to start a van-based franchise and pick up customers’ dogs from their homes and take them for walks. Or, if you have plenty of space at home, you could even launch a dog day care franchise. Every member of the family can get involved in an opportunity like this, from teens to grandparents. And considering that there are an estimated 9.9 million dogs in the UK [PDSA], there’s a huge market out there for you to take advantage of.
Providing an alternative to traditional kennelling methods, pet franchise Canine Creche truly puts dogs’ happiness at the centre of everything it does. Its ‘crèche’ model has certainly proved popular; last year, it racked up over 20,000 day visits and 3,600 overnight stays across its franchise network. Every dog is kept safe and happy, as the business installs viewing panels, security procedures, temperament testing and CCTV cameras throughout its franchise locations.
- Becoming a Canine Creche franchisee: You’ll need to be passionate about dogs and have the drive to start your own business in the doggy day care world. Other than that, there are no specific requirements or qualifications you’ll need to start your Canine Creche franchise.
- How much you need to invest: To get involved, you’ll need to make a total investment of £85,000. However, the franchisee fee starts from £42,500, with a 5% marketing fee and a management fee of £200 per month to get you started.
- What you get for your investment: Canine Creche supports its franchisees throughout the franchise agreement term, so you’ll be able to turn to the franchising team with any concerns or questions.
>> Read more:
Child Care Franchise
If you love working with children and fancy a new business venture, why not start a childcare franchise from your own home? It’s ideally suited to parents who already stay at home looking after their own children, or families looking to take the leap from employment in nurseries or schools. You could run the business easily with other family members who live in the same house or nearby.
Banana Moon is a day-care service for children between the ages of three months and five years. Investing in this franchise allows you to play an important role in shaping, developing and educating pre-school children while being your own boss. You can get hands on and look after children yourself, or use it as an investment and leave family members (or recruit staff) to handle the day-to day-running of your nursery.
- Becoming a Banana Moon franchisee: It goes without saying that you’ll need to be prepared to do everything you can to ensure your day care centre provides a safe, secure and fun environment for the children that use it. While you won’t need any qualifications, you’ll need to prove you can meet Banana Moon’s high standards to become a franchisee.
- How much you need to invest: To become a Banana Moon franchisee, the initial investment is £47,500 plus VAT. However, the total investment is more likely to be around £200,000 when the cost of your premises and start-up costs are factored in. 50% – 70% of the cost can be financed through Banana Moon’s high street bank partners.
- What you get for your investment: As well as learning vital childcare techniques, you’ll also be taught how the franchise system works, how to manage the daily operations of the nursery effectively and how to promote your franchise in your local area. To help you do this, you'll be given marketing material to raise awareness of the brand within your community.
Starting a cleaning franchise with your family means you’ll have a ready-made team of cleaners at your fingertips. The UK’s cleaning sector is worth more than £5 billion [University of Warwick], and looks set to grow over the next few years, so it’s a great place to invest even if you won’t be the one getting your hands dirty. You can choose to operate a domestic cleaning business, suitable for anyone of any background, age and ability, or go for a commercial cleaning franchise if you’d prefer to offer a specialist service.
This established cleaning franchise has been based in the UK for over 35 years, and more than 100 franchisees operate across the country. Merry Maids prides itself on giving its customers exceptional service by making sure each franchisee has all the support, guidance and training they need to build a successful business.
- Becoming a Merry Maids franchisee: This franchise is on the lookout for entrepreneurs with good business judgement, great people skills and the motivation to push a business forward.
- How much you need to invest: The total investment is £19,995 plus VAT. Funding support is available for the right candidates and many high street banks are willing to lend up to 70% of the franchise fee if you meet their criteria. That means you could get started for just £6,000.
- What you get for your investment: Franchisees can expect to receive a comprehensive franchise package. It includes training and ongoing support, marketing material (both digital and physical), branded uniforms, products and equipment for cleaning teams, as well as financial management support.
A Family Affair
This is just a snapshot of a few industries you might like to start your family-run franchise in, but there are hundreds more opportunities across the country. None of these take your fancy? We have franchises for everyone over on our UK franchise directory.
Sophie Cole, Point Franchise ©