If you have a love of all things tech and telecommunications and you’ve strongly considered running your own business, a BT Local franchise could be absolutely ideal. If you choose to start a BT Local Business, you’ll benefit from the company’s hugely well-recognised brand name and built-in customer base, and you’ll enter a thriving industry.
The telecommunications industry generated more than £30 billion in revenue during 2020 [Statista]. This statistic alone should speak to the huge levels of demand in the industry, and the clear reason why a telecommunications business could be such a profitable investment option. Read on, and you’ll find out exactly how to start your own tech franchise with the BT Local Business network.
What does a BT Local franchise entail?
The BT Local Business network is made up of independently owned businesses working in partnership with us. Each BT Local Business gets sole use of our customer base for their local area, and full access to our industry-leading products and services. You’re backed by the strength of a global brand, while being able to provide a more personal service to businesses across the country.
A “BT Local Business” is the company’s equivalent to a franchise unit. But what will you do running a communications franchise with BT Local? Here’s the answer: As the owner of a BT Local Business, you’ll sell BT products and services to businesses in your operational area while managing the day-to-day operations of your branch.
You’ll be the sole BT Local Business in your territory, and you’ll be sharing BT’s ever-growing, ever-evolving portfolio of options with customers, from the latest broadband solutions to the newest handsets and networking services.
There are currently 34 BT Local Businesses up and down the UK, and each one has at least 20 employees. If you have the right skill set and the right amount of determination and drive, you could launch the 35th BT Local Business in no time. You’ll find there’s no ceiling on how much you can grow your business and expand your earning potential if you do.
>> Read more:
Why start a franchise with BT Local Business?
The advantages that come with starting a BT Local Business are many and various. For one, you’ll join the thriving B2B sector in the field of tech, and benefit from huge amounts of consumer demand. Secondly, you’ll be a business owner in a fully supported franchise-style model that provides you with all you need to succeed. And thirdly? You’ll be able to confidently let your customers know that you’re selling products and services from [BT]:
- “The best mobile and landline network in the UK”
- “The largest Wi-Fi hotspot network in the UK”
- “The world’s leading network service provider, ranked by Gartner for the 11th year running”
How to start a BT Local Business
In order to start a BT Local Business on the right foot, you simply need to answer the following three questions...
1. What training and support is provided within BT Local franchise opportunities, and what experience do I need?
In the words of BT, “It doesn’t matter if you haven’t sold technology before. While an understanding of the telecoms sector can be an advantage, we’ll get you up to speed and support you with all you need to know.” Instead, BT prizes senior management and business ownership experience, along with sales knowledge and commercial acumen.
In short, you’ll be fully trained and supported every step of the way to ensure the success of your BT Local Business. You’ll be provided with lead generation tools, assisted with building sales campaigns (including access to BT’s market-leading CRM system) and given best practice toolkits.
2. What is the total investment for a BT Local business?
If you’re thinking, “This all sounds great, but I don’t know if I can afford it yet! What is the startup cost for a BT Local Business?” - don’t worry. The answer is right here: You can launch a BT Local Business for a minimum initial investment of £150,000, with a total investment cost of £300,000 to truly get the business up and running. You’ll also be charged a monthly management fee, the size of which will depend on the size of your operational area.
3. What’s the current state of the telecommunications sector?
Do plenty of research before you determine that it’s time to make your investment, as the more you know about the industry you’ll be entering (particularly if you don’t have prior telecommunications experience), the better placed you’ll be to succeed and thrive from day one, smoothly stepping onto a new professional path.
Other B2B franchise opportunities to consider
FASTSIGNS was first established in Dallas in 1985. The signage and communications franchise came to the UK in 1992, continues to offer a huge range of options to its customers, and has now opened over 675 centres in 10 countries across the globe.
- Becoming a FASTSIGNS franchisee: You don’t need any prior industry experience, but you will need an excellent work ethic, an understanding of what makes a successful team, and plenty of enthusiasm for the role.
- How much you need to invest: You’ll need to make a minimum initial investment of £36,000, with franchise fees of £21,000 and a total investment cost of £120,000.
- What you get for your investment: You’ll receive industry-leading training and pre-opening support. You’ll then have access to a mentoring programme, outside sales support and a dedicated business consultant.
>> Read more:
- Franchising 101: The Official Franchise Start Up Checklist (Part 1)
- Franchising 101: The Official Franchise Start Up Checklist (Part 2)
- New Year, New Career: No Better Time Than Now to Start a Franchise Today
- Franchising 101: 8 Signs You're Ready to Start a Franchise
- Starting a New Business Doesn't Always Lead to Immediate Success: Here Are 5 Ways to Change That
- It's Never Too Late to Start a New Business
Prokil is one of the leading home improvement and construction franchises currently working across the B2B and domestic sectors. The franchise, which has over 50 years of experience to its name, specialises in water/damp proofing and timber preservation.
- Becoming a Prokil franchisee: You don’t need industry experience, but you should be self-motivated, driven, energetic, hard working and positive.
- How much you need to invest: You'll need to make a minimum initial investment of £30,000, with franchise fees of £37,000 and a total investment cost of £60,000.
- What you get for your investment: You’ll be fully supported with an initial training programme via Head Office for three months, followed by access to relevant qualifications and accreditations and the support of a dedicated franchise manager.
Start running your own business with a BT Local franchise today
This article should have equipped you with all you need to know in order to successfully start a BT Local Business. If you’re still on the fence about whether BT Local is right for you, stay on Point Franchise and continue your research. Browse the full range of B2B franchise investment opportunities, and check out some investment opportunities in the IT sector, too.
Lily Sweeney, Point Franchise ©