If you love teaching, being active and working outside, you could be the perfect outdoor fitness coach. Even with no industry experience, thriving as a franchisee with an outdoor fitness business is possible for you. Here’s how.
Franchising is a unique business model, offering you many of the pros of business ownership without some of the biggest cons. Factors like risk are significantly lowered, and the financial investment you’ll need to make is lessened too. Plus, you benefit, as a franchisee, from plenty of training and expert support. If you’d like to make a career change with a fitness franchise, keep reading.
What does an outdoor fitness coach do?
As an outdoor fitness coach, you’ll be responsible for helping people to improve their wellbeing, physically and mentally, in the great outdoors. You’ll train, develop and work with people to bring out the best in them, pushing them to achieve new heights and meet new goals. You’ll enjoy plenty of repeat business once you have a strong reputation, and beyond this steady demand, you’ll also benefit from the many other advantages of franchising in the fitness sector, such as:
- Many opportunities, business models and investment levels to choose from
- The opportunity to enter a growing and innovative industry
- The huge amount of room to grow as a business owner
- The high level of expert training and support you’ll receive
- The chance to stay fit and active at work
- The chance to have a positive impact in the lives of others
[The fitness industry] only attracts 14.9% of the adult population. Most people know they need to be healthier. Many want to do more, but would prefer to exercise outdoors and feel uncomfortable in a gym or at a health club. With a WALX Franchise, you can engage with typically up to 20% of the population in your territory, with little competition.
How to become an outdoor fitness professional
With an understanding of what the role entails and all the benefits of setting up shop as an outdoor fitness coach, it’s time to figure out how to start the ball rolling. If you want to build a successful outdoor fitness franchise from the ground up, be sure to follow each of these three steps...
1. Assess your skills
When you’re looking into starting a franchise, you’ll find that most investment opportunities don’t require you to have a huge amount of experience. This is because franchisors often provide franchisees with a comprehensive programme of training and support, covering any knowledge gaps and equipping them for success.
However, it’s always worth assessing your transferable skills before you commit to a career in outdoor fitness. To succeed in the industry, you will ideally need to be:
- A good communicator
- A positive, approachable person
- Someone with a good level of physical fitness
- Able to teach and motivate
- Committed to the work
- Responsible about health and safety considerations
>> Read more:
- 5 Advantages of Running a Sports, Fitness or Gym Franchise
- The Best Around-The-Clock Fitness Franchises in the UK
- How to Start Your Own Outdoor Fitness Business
- Q&A: Does Planet Fitness Franchise in the UK?
- Sector Spotlight: The CEOs Whipping the Sports, Fitness, and Gym Industry Into Tip-Top Shape
- 6 Tips for Building a Business Plan for a Successful Sports, Fitness, or Gym Franchise
2. Complete industry research to find your niche
When you know you have the skills, it’s time to dive into the industry. What’s the latest, and where would you best fit in? Understanding the sector you’re working in is crucial for franchise success, as it will allow you to adequately meet the demands of your customers.
You could work in a number of roles within the industry, and your role will be different with every franchise that you look into investing with (even if just slightly!). Ask yourself what you’d like to be doing each day, what kind of impact you’d like to have, and whether you’d like to specialise or work more generally. Also consider how important the outdoor element is to you. Could you thrive just as well in an indoor fitness position, or is the call of the wild too strong?
The world of fitness franchising now offers a wide range of concepts for entrepreneurs who want to make a positive impact on the community and help people get healthier. And there’s only growth ahead for this niche. If you’re looking at this sector, be sure to explore all the available opportunities.
- Don Daszkowski, Forbes
3. Do your due diligence
Steps one and two should help you to reach the point you’ll need to be at by step three: The point at which you’ve found the perfect franchise opportunity, and you’re getting ready to pull the trigger on an investment. At this stage, it’s your legal right and responsibility to watch out for red flags. Do your due diligence and fully assess the opportunity and the franchise. If you don’t, you risk setting yourself up for failure by investing in an unknown quantity. Ask questions like:
- What is the franchise’s financial situation?
- What is the franchise’s existing reputation with franchisees?
- What is the franchise’s existing reputation with customers?
- What will the franchisor provide you with in terms of training and support?
- How long will it take you to recoup your initial investment?
>> Read more:
- 5 Advantages of Franchising for Young People
- 9 Things to Know Before Becoming a Franchisee
- Mythbusters: Common Misconceptions About What Makes a Successful Franchisee
- 5 Great Reasons to Become a Franchisee
- Franchising 101: Are You Ready to Become a Franchisee?
- Franchising 101: 6 Things to Know Before Becoming a Franchisee
Franchise opportunities in the outdoor fitness sector
Making an investment can be an overwhelming and research-heavy process. If you’re wondering where to start when it comes to finding franchise opportunities, check out a couple of Point Franchise’s best options...
WALX is an outdoor activity experience franchise that seeks to target people who want to exercise, but would prefer to do it away from an indoor gym environment. With 100 collective years of experience, the WALX team brings customers from all walks of life together.
- Becoming a WALX franchisee: You won’t need any industry experience, but you will need to be ready to start your own business and deliver inspiring walking-based programmes to your customers.
- How much you need to invest: You’ll need to make a minimum initial investment of £9,995.
- What you get for your investment: Along with comprehensive initial and ongoing training and support, you’ll receive set-up and management training, marketing support and access to a range of WALX operational systems.
SportsCool’s mantra is this: Educate. Motivate. Participate. The growing sports teaching franchise works with kids up and down the UK, delivering outdoor sessions designed to get them excited about and engaged with exercise.
- Becoming a SportsCool franchisee: You don’t need any specific experience to become a franchisee, just a passion for sports and a strong desire to build your own business and put in the hard work.
- How much you need to invest: You’ll need to make a minimum initial investment of £24,995 with a royalty fee charged at £600 a month.
- What you get for your investment: You’ll receive accountancy, set-up and HR support, along with all the equipment you need, all the training you need and all the knowledge you need to succeed. You’ll also have many opportunities to further your professional development.
Why not try running a franchise and becoming an outdoor fitness instructor?
If, after reading this article, you’re more sure than ever that you’d love to work in fitness, then don’t hesitate. If outdoor fitness is right up your street, follow the steps above and start pursuing your goal. If a more general career in fitness is of interest, continue your research on Point Franchise. Discover some amazing fitness franchise opportunities, or read all about a day in the life of the owner of a gym franchise.
Lily Sweeney, Point Franchise ©