Q&A: Does the Apple Store Franchise in the UK?
Todayís generation are technology obsessed. Generation Z and millennials are particularly accustomed to being glued to their smartphones and tablets. One store that springs to mind straight away when you think of electronics is Apple. But does it operate a franchise model in the UK?
Apple Inc. is an American multinational technology company that designs, develops and sells consumer electronics. The hardware products include the iPad, Mac, iPod, Apple Watch, Apple TV, Apple AirPods, HomePod speaker and of course the iPhone. The company, which is headquartered in Cupertino, California, is one of the ĎBig Fourí technology companies, alongside Facebook, Amazon and Google. But is it possible to own your own Apple store franchise in the UK?
Apple is famous for its size and revenues, with its global annual revenue totalling an eye-watering $265 billion in 2018. As well as being the largest electronics company in the world, it is also the third biggest mobile phone manufacturer, following Samsung and Huawei. August 2018 marked Apple becoming the first public US company with a value exceeding $1 trillion. Whatís more, there are around 1.4 billion Apple products being tapped away on across the globe as we speak.
>> Read more:
History of Apple
The huge brand was founded in 1976 by Steve Jobs, Ronald Wayne and Steve Wozniak to develop and sell Wozniakís Apple I computer. Throughout the 1990s, the personal computer market experienced global expansion and evolution. Steve Jobs became the Apple CEO in 2000. Apple started to see profits again in 1998 with the Think Different advertising campaign and the launch of the iMac. In 2001, Apple Stores started popping up across the globe and in 2007 the company was renamed Apple Inc.
Does the Apple store franchise?
Unfortunately, Apple is not a franchise and so owning your own Apple retail store is impossible. All of the stores you see dotted around our highstreets and shopping centres are company owned.
However, if you are keen to become part of this powerful brand with such a huge global presence, Apple Inc. does run training sessions and seminars for individuals eager to become an Apple-certified technician or product consultant.
1.4 billion Apple products are being tapped away on across the globe as we speak
How to get involved with the Apple store?
If you have your heart set on joining the Apple brand, donít fret. You can still opt to become an Apple Authorised Reseller or an Apple Authorised Service Provider.
Apple Authorised Resellers
- About Apple Authorised Resellers: Apple authorises some resellers to sell Apple products.
- How to become an Apple Authorised Reseller: If your company meets Appleís minimum requirements, you can apply for the Apple Authorised Reseller programme. You need to ensure you have Apple or third-party certification for the products and at least half of your staff need to have undergone certification training. It is also essential to have at least one employee who is an Apple Associate certificate holder for iLife, Mac OS X or iWork.
- How much you need to invest: You must commit to purchasing at least $100,000 worth of products from Apple per annum. You also need to ensure you have Apple or third-party certification for the products and at least half of your staff need to have undergone certification training. It is also essential to have at least one employee who is an Apple Associate certificate holder for iLife, Mac OS X or iWork.
Apple Authorised Service Providers
- About Apple Authorised Service Providers: These are companies that have been authorised by Apple to provide repair services to all Apple customers. Even universities and colleges can apply to deliver these services to their students. However, all repairs that are covered under warranty need to be completed by an Apple-certified technician.
- How to become an Apple Authorised Service Provider: Whilst educational institutions, services companies and resellers in countries where Apple has a direct service presence can apply to be an Apple Authorised Service Provider, sole traders and individuals may not. To see some more information about computer repair franchises, you can check out our website here.
The electronics market in the UK
With there being constant innovation and growth in the consumer electronics industry in the UK and across the globe, electronics stores must keep up with customer demand and the latest trends. Apple is the largest electronics company in the world, followed by Samsung and Microsoft.
A study in 2018 revealed almost a fifth of young people between the ages of 16 and 24 were on their phones for over seven hours a day and check them every 8.6 minutes (Ofcom).
Despite young peopleís dependency on their smartphones being a controversial and pressing issue in society as a whole, it still demonstrates the high demand for and popularity of technological devices. This, combined with their desire to have the latest models, means that young people are the driving force in this booming sector. This manifests in UK consumer electronics market being worth a staggering £19.1 billion last year (Futuresource Consumer Electronics Market Report).
Similar franchise opportunities
We have two franchises on our books that retail electronics as part of their offerings.
Complete Entertainment eXchange is the go-to destination for used entertainment tech and gadgets. The bfa-accredited franchise has been in business since 2006.
- Becoming a CeX franchisee: If you have retail management experience and a passion for all things electronic, then CeX encourages you to apply.
- How much you need to invest: You need between £150,000 and £250,000 to be accepted as a franchisee.
- What you get for your investment: In return, youíll get help in every possible way. This includes initial training, having your own dedicated support team, and more. According to the British high street classic, you can expect a return on investment in just 18 months.
>> Read more:
Cash Generator is the biggest network of second-hand product shops in the UK. There are more than 200 shops in the UK alone and over 700 across the globe. Items include everything from TVs and DVDs to mobile phones and game consoles.
- Becoming a Cash Generator franchisee: You need to be hardworking and dedicated to the success of the brand if you want to run your own thriving franchise unit. Itís up to you how you run the business, but most franchisees choose to hire a team of employees to manage the daily operations.
- How much you need to invest: Cash Generator asks for a minimum investment of £80,000 and a maximum of £240,000.
- What you get in return: Franchisees take part in a bespoke training programme thatís tailored to their needs. Even when youíve been in business for a while, youíll still attend regular regional meetings to keep up to date with any developments in the market or the company.
Start your own electronics franchise
In this digital age where the craze of having the latest gadget has never been stronger, what better time to start a franchise in this sector? We have another article dedicated to electronic store business opportunities in the UK, which you can view here.
Becky Martin, Point Franchise ©
If you thought that starting a successful franchise during lockdown would be an [...]Article published on 12/09/2020 16:00
If youíve just graduated from university, chances are youíre feeling a little overwhelmed [...]Article published on 01/09/2020 14:50
Starting a child care agency is a great way for ambitious entrepreneurs to really [...]Article published on 27/08/2020 11:43
Starting a home-based business may have never crossed your mind before. But with [...]Article published on 30/09/2020 17:06
FOCUS ON BUSINESS SECTORS
In this article we shine a spotlight on the food sector and some of the top business [...]Article published on 29/09/2020 16:35
VARIOUS TOPICS Ė TRENDS IN FRANCHISING