If you’re a people person with a love of cars and a desire to run your own business, you could thrive in a career as a franchisee with a windscreen repair franchise. Here’s what it takes to build a successful windscreen fixing business, along with a breakdown of what a day in the life might look like for you if you entered the profession.
The people of the UK will always need windshield repair services, and with more cars on the road year on year, this demand only looks set to increase as time goes on. Where better to invest than in a sector that enjoys such measurable demand? If you think you have what it takes to start your own windscreen repair franchise, keep reading.
A day in the life running a windscreen repair franchise
A day in the life in the car repair industry is fast-paced and exciting, and though you’ll be doing certain things on a regular basis, no two days will be exactly the same. Before you choose to invest in a windscreen repair business and start your franchising journey, it’s important for you to understand exactly what you’re getting into, and what you can expect from the role.
Here are just a few of the tasks you’ll be completing as a franchisee in this industry - if not daily, then regularly:
- Responding to customer enquiries and concerns
- Meeting with customers/potential customers/your team of repair technicians
- Carrying out repairs
- Engaging with customers and building your brand on social media
- Planning for the future
- Negotiating and communicating with customers
- Processing invoices (and other financial responsibilities associated with business ownership)
If these tasks appeal, you’re in a good position to successfully make a career change with a windscreen repair franchise - particularly if you’re also a good communicator with a driving license, patience and the ability to manage your time effectively.
>> Read more:
Advantages of running a windshield repair business
As already discussed, businesses in the car repair industry enjoy regular and steady demand which continues to rise each year. Being constantly in demand is just one of many advantages to working in this industry. Other advantages include:
- The chance to regularly meet and help new people in a customer-facing role
- The varied and interesting day-to-day
- The high quality of support and training you’ll receive from your franchisor
- The opportunity to work flexible hours and be your own boss
- The chance to keep growing with time, with plenty of room for expansion
There is immense job satisfaction. Because we are proactive and visit our clients on a regular and reliable basis, we’re able to develop long term, purposeful business relationships with them. Visits to our well-established veteran clients are like visiting a trusted friend.
- Keith Harrison, Screen Rescue
Challenges of running a windshield repair franchise
Though the advantages are many, there are a few drawbacks to running a business in the thriving car repair industry. First, there’s plenty of competition to contend with, and you’ll want to stand out however you can by really investing in marketing your franchise effectively and correctly. Second, the work you’re doing will expose you to certain liabilities that you’ll need to account for (and that your franchisor should be, too).
Third, there are running costs involved all the way from equipment to premises, and though these will vary depending on the investment you make (a mobile repair franchise will have cheaper overheads, for example), they will never be completely removed. Don’t forget to account for these, and look into securing funding if you think these costs could prevent you from making that investment.
Franchise opportunities in the car repair sector
If, armed with the knowledge you now have, you’re even more keen to get involved and become a windscreen repair specialist, check out these investment opportunities as a jumping-off point...
>> Read more:
- 5 Tips for Developing Your Employees into Future Franchisees
- Being a Successful Franchisee Means Adopting an Entrepreneur Mindset
- 7 Common Habits of Successful Franchisees
- Mythbusters: Common Misconceptions About What Makes a Successful Franchisee
- Five Tips for Boosting Your Self-Confidence as a Business Owner
- Traits of an entrepreneur
1. Screen Rescue
Screen Rescue is the UK’s only windscreen and glass repair franchise that operates solely in the automotive industry (within all commercial vehicle sectors). Established in 2012, the franchise is committed to delivering outstanding customer service.
- Becoming a Screen Rescue franchisee: The ideal Screen Rescue franchisee doesn’t need any experience in the industry, but does need to be ambitious and driven, with a strong desire to succeed. They should also be friendly, personable and a good communicator.
- How much you need to invest: You’ll need to make a minimum initial investment of £19,750, with a total investment cost of £35,000 and a management fee charged at 10%.
- What you get for your investment: You’ll receive 10 working days of induction training in Suffolk, an assisted business launch, territory visits, business development, ongoing coaching, NVQ assessment and accreditations, and full access to central support services.
Optic-Kleer is the largest windscreen repair company in the UK, and has been providing clients with top quality services since 1991. Over the years, it's gained a brilliant reputation for preventing any further damage to clients’ windscreens.
- Becoming a Optic-Kleer franchisee: The ideal Optic-Kleer franchisee doesn’t need any experience in the industry, but does need to be someone with an entrepreneurial spirit and strong financial management skills. They should also be committed, friendly, energetic and ambitious.
- How much you need to invest: You’ll need to make a minimum initial investment of £19,950, with a management fee charged at 17.5%.
- What you get for your investment: You’ll receive an initial training programme, mentoring and support with marketing, sales and advertising. You’ll also be provided with ongoing professional and managerial support.
Become a successful franchisee with a car repair franchise today
If this article has confirmed your interest in starting your own automotive franchise, continue your research. Look into windscreen repair franchise investment opportunities, and also take a broader look at the industry: Why is an investment in the automotive sector such a good idea, and what investment opportunities are available to you within it?