About ready for a career change that will grant you flexibility, agency and security? No problem. Start a franchise in the domestic cleaning sector and you’ll be able to join an established business within a thriving industry, becoming your own boss in the most supported way possible. Here’s the current, post-COVID state of franchising in the domestic cleaning sector.
Starting your own domestic cleaning franchise might feel like a risk in the current global context, but in reality, franchising is one of the most low-risk ways to go about it, and domestic cleaning is a sector that’s currently ripe for investment. A reported 66,420 businesses started operating in 2020 in the sector, a figure up around 6,420 from 2016 [British Cleaning Council].
The domestic cleaning industry in 2021
When you choose to make a career change with a domestic cleaning franchise and enter the domestic cleaning industry in 2021, you’ll enter a sector that’s currently experiencing rising demand. Though undeniably impacted by the pandemic and by working limitations applied, repealed, re-applied and repealed since March 2020, domestic cleaning franchisees have largely been able to weather the storm.
This is in part thanks to supportive assistance from their franchisors, and in parts thanks to an increased consumer demand for cleaning services, prompted by an increased consumer understanding of the huge importance of hygiene in day-to-day life. The domestic cleaning industry’s market size currently stands at £5 billion, and the sector employs over 65,000 people [IBISWorld]. That’s a lot of demand, a lot of competition, and a lot of space to find your niche and thrive.
The post-pandemic outlook for those looking to start a house cleaning franchise
Unlike many industries, it’s actually one of the best possible times, right now, to get into home cleaning. Especially if you’re doing it as a supported franchisee. If you’re wondering where the industry is headed next, and which trends you’re likely to run into during your daily life as the owner of a domestic cleaning franchise, here are just a few examples currently gaining traction and popularity:
Increased focus on SMM (social media marketing)
- Better-informed clients and customers
- Increased commitment to protecting the environment (through greener products and greener practices network-wide)
- Use of more tech and more automation in the cleaning and business management processes
- Starting a very niche franchise in a cleaning sub-sector like car cleaning or carpet cleaning
- The growing prominence of “cleanfluencers” as an advertising method
>> Read more:
The biggest advantages of running a house cleaning franchise
Demand is, evidently, the biggest advantage to running any kind of franchise. If you know your services have an interested audience - an audience that’s willing to pay - you’re already on the right track. This is certainly the case for a home cleaning business, but it’ll be music to your ears that there are, even beyond this, many more advantages to running a domestic cleaning franchise. Advantages like:
- The availability of low cost investment options that still allow you to reap reward
- The ability to work flexible hours, chosen and controlled by you and you alone
- The endless room to expand and grow your franchise business with time
- The saved money on premises overheads (because you can be working out of other people’s homes/from your own)
- The opportunity to meet/interact with new and interesting people
- The varied, no-two-days-are-the-same working life
- The access to extensive franchisor support and training
- The access to a built-in customer base and a proven business model
Franchising opportunities in the domestic cleaning sector
If context has left you even more certain that you’d like to become a domestic cleaner, there are many domestic cleaning franchise investment opportunities available on Point Franchise. Here are just a few great examples of thriving domestic cleaning franchise networks that might be a good choice of investment...
>> Read more:
Cleanhome was founded in 2007, and the company is now one of the UK’s leading domestic cleaning businesses, with over 30 franchisees to date and plans to keep growing in future.
- Becoming a Cleanhome franchisee: You don’t need experience, but you should be a passionate people person with strong listening skills and a willingness to learn.
- How much you need to invest: You’ll need to make a minimum initial investment of £9,995, with franchise fees of £300.
- What you get for your investment: You’ll enjoy Cleanhome’s award-winning training programme and be fully equipped to thrive by the time your launch date arrives.
Homeclean is a domestic cleaning agency which was first established in 1985. It started its franchising journey in 2006, and now has multiple offices across the UK, with more to come.
- Becoming a Homeclean franchisee: No prior experience is needed, but you should be energetic, enthusiastic, communicative and organised.
- How much you need to invest: You’ll need to make a minimum initial investment of £12,000, with a total investment cost of £18,000.
- What you get for your investment: You’ll receive a comprehensive initial training package, launch support AND ongoing support from your franchisor.
3. Nationwide Cleaners
Nationwide Cleaners is a profitable, award-winning cleaning franchise offering its franchisees flexible hours and the sought-after ability to work from home, managing a team.
- Becoming a Nationwide Cleaners franchisee: No previous sales, marketing or cleaning experience is needed - just drive, dedication and a willingness to learn.
- How much you need to invest: You’ll need to make a minimum initial investment of £4,000, with a total investment cost of £7,999.
- What you get for your investment: You’ll be given all the training you need. Post launch, the continued growth and success of your business will be fully supported.
Start running your own business today with a domestic cleaning franchise
If you’re now more certain than ever that your next professional venture should be a domestic cleaning franchise, stay on Point Franchise and continue your research! Check out the top eight domestic cleaning franchises in the UK right now, or discover five top tips for running a domestic cleaning franchise effectively.
Cara Squires, Point Franchise ©