Subway introduces a ‘Fresh CSR Agenda’
Popular sandwich chain Subway steps up its sustainability and encourages guests to ‘Choose to Refuse’ single-use plastic packaging.
On January 20th, Subway released a ‘Fresh CSR Agenda’ across the UK and Ireland. It’s part of its owner-operated franchise business growth strategy and draws on areas where it wants to take positive action.
The three key pillars are:
- Sourcing Responsibly – This includes the supply chain and animal welfare practices.
- Serving Guests Sustainably – This includes reviewing the use of proprietary single-use packaging and increasing the nutritional value of products.
- Supporting Communities – This includes generating prosperity through purchasing, employment and commercial activity, supporting community and charity initiatives.
Plastic waste and its negative environmental impact is a big concern at the moment. So, the sandwich franchise is stepping up its packaging game to protect products and minimise waste. It’s working hard to reduce single-use plastics in its eateries and across the rest of the company’s operations.
How is Subway going to achieve this?
- Place a ‘Choose to Refuse’ message by drink dispensers to encourage customers to think before taking a straw and lid
- Continue to train ‘Sandwich Artists’ to offer a basket for dine-in and only place Subs in bags when a customer asks
- Move to PET 50 percent recycled bottles for water
- Introduce recyclable cardboard delivery boxes
- Find a source for paper-based salads and catering platters
- Provide napkins made from 100 percent recycled material and salad bowls made from 95 percent recycled plastic
Justin Goes, Regional Director Europe for Subway International B.V., commented:
“As a leading quick service restaurant, with community at our heart, we recognise that our progress and success also brings increasing responsibility. It’s time to freshen up our CSR agenda, to make it clearer what we stand for and talk more actively about the work we are doing day in, day out.
“We recognise we need to reduce our impact on the wider environment and we are on a journey alongside our guests, who, Europe-wide are concerned about whether a company is behaving responsibly before buying their products. We know our guests want us to be a responsible business that helps make their lives better in ways that are important to them.”
Subway is currently looking for ambitious entrepreneurs to join its franchise network through Point Franchise. Click here to register your interest and find out more.
Becky Martin, Point Franchise ©
Subway puts healthy eating at its heart
Subway franchisee has won an award for a Healthy Eating Schools programme. Daljit [...]News published on 19/03/2020 08:00
Subway adds permanent menu item
Subway has delighted fans of a vegan diet by announcing its exclusive sandwich, the [...]News published on 16/03/2020 16:00
Subway to launch two new stores in Surrey
Subway has announced plans to open two new branches in Surrey. The sandwich franchise [...]News published on 18/02/2020 16:00
Subway at the British & International Franchise Exhibition
Meet Subway at the British & International Franchise Exhibition Find the [...]News published on 28/01/2020 08:00
Subway launches tasty new Toasted Bites
Subway has expanded its offering once again with a small addition to the menu – Toasted [...]News published on 14/01/2020 08:00
Today we shine a spotlight on the fantastic ways that Point Franchise businesses [...]Article published on 30/03/2020 15:00
DEVELOPING YOUR OWN BUSINESS IN FRANCHISING
Today we consider how the COVID-19 crisis and the UK population being told they [...]Article published on 29/03/2020 15:00
ARTICLES FOR FRANCHISORS
As time goes on, it’s getting easier and easier to create a thriving business [...]Article published on 29/03/2020 09:00
VARIOUS TOPICS – TRENDS IN FRANCHISING
With the spread of COVID-19 set to turn the UK economy on its head, we thought [...]Article published on 28/03/2020 15:00
START A BUSINESS