Q&A: Does Magnum Ice Cream Franchise in the UK?
We’ve all heard of the ice cream brand Magnum. Its creamy creations are loved by Brits across the country, but can you capitalise on this high demand? We ask whether there are Magnum ice cream franchise opportunities in the UK.
Magnum is the most popular brand of ice cream in the UK. Around 12.4 million people bought a ‘Magnum’ in 2018, and a further 11 million bought other Magnum products, taking the ice cream brand’s sales total to 23.3 million. This figure puts it 14.3 million sales ahead of its closest competitor, Ben & Jerry’s.
History of Magnum
Magnum first emerged in 1989 as the first ice cream ‘lolly’ aimed exclusively at adults. Instead of targeting children, Magnum made the bold choice to market itself as a classy indulgence for those old enough to appreciate its silky ice cream and expertly crafted chocolate. This approach worked well.
The brand quickly became popular across Europe and now sells more than a billion ice creams globally every year. Under its international parent brand Unilever, Magnum has even expanded into territories like North America, and shows no signs of slowing down.
Over the years, the ice cream company has launched many ambitious marketing initiatives and product collections. These range from the Seven Deadly Sins campaign, to the Five Kisses dessert-inspired selection, and the Magnum Silver ice cream, which was created to mark the brand’s 25th anniversary in 2014.
As Magnum has developed its offering, more adventurous flavours have been introduced into its product selection. Nutty, fruity and caramel flavours have given even the fussiest eaters the chance to find an option to suit them. And, for the past few years, Magnum has run pop-up stores in London and New York, where fans can create their very own personalised ice creams. Since this was introduced in 2016, it’s attracted a huge number of hungry visitors.
>> Read more:
Does Magnum franchise?
Unfortunately, there are no Magnum ice cream franchise opportunities, as the brand mainly retails its products in supermarkets and other food shops, rather than from dedicated Magnum ice cream stores. Apart from its brand-owned pop-up outlets, the luxury ice cream company does not operate from physical premises, and is focussing its efforts on product development.
How to get involved with Magnum
If you were hoping to find a Magnum ice cream franchise investment opportunity, you may want to consider looking for an alternative brand. But if you’re keen to be a part of the Magnum name, you can always work for it as an employee. Head to the Unilever careers page to browse current vacancies.
The ice cream market in the UK
The UK’s ice cream market generates a yearly revenue of around £450 million and experienced an annual growth of 1.7 percent between 2014 and 2019. You don’t have to walk far to recognise the demand for the soothing snack, as many of our high streets are now dotted with ice cream, gelato and dessert restaurants.
Lots of new retailers have entered the market over the last few years, offering a huge range of new and exciting options. From traditional ice creams to lower calorie alternatives like frozen yoghurt, and even vegan blends, there’s plenty for the modern consumer to choose from. However, Magnum’s popularity has made sure the old favourites have secured their position in the market.
Similar franchise opportunities
If you’re desperate to make your name as an ice cream retailer, take a look at some of the best dessert franchise opportunities on our books. They’re all on the hunt for savvy entrepreneurs to take their brand to the next level.
Creams Café’s unique and creative take on the sweet treats market takes the 1950s American-diner taste and combines it with an Italian twist, offering creamy ice cream and coffee. The company has also expanded its customer base by introducing a vegan menu.
- Becoming a Creams Café franchisee: Of course, catering and retailing experience is helpful when it comes to joining the restaurant industry, but Creams does offer training and ongoing support, so previous knowledge is not essential. You’ll also need to be prepared to pay a five percent royalty fee and a one percent marketing fee of gross sales.
- How much you need to invest: To become a Creams Café franchisee, you will need to invest around £250,000.
- What you get for your investment: As a franchisee, you’ll receive all the training you need to be prepared before and during your store opening, including a 21-day course at the Creams Academy. You’ll get a certificate for your work and help with recruitment and marketing. Refresher classes are also available to master the running of your business.
The Incredible Ice Cream Company
This franchise sets up mobile ice cream bars in high footfall areas and caters for private, public and corporate events across the UK. Its colourful stall is eye-catching, drawing customers in to craft their own delicious ice cream creation. That means you can be a food vendor without the hassle of renting business premises.
- Becoming an Incredible Ice Cream Company franchisee: You’ll benefit from the ice cream sector’s high demand and the 83 percent of people who eat ice cream during autumn and winter as well as spring and summer. To learn more and sign up, click here.
- How much you need to invest: When you join The Incredible Ice Cream Company, you can choose to start a mobile business for £9,500 or a static business for slightly more. Franchisees can make over £50,000 in the first year alone, so it's a fantastic opportunity to get involved in the ice cream sector.
- What you get for your investment: Franchisees will enter into a renewable, two-year contract and can expect to benefit from a comprehensive training scheme and all the consumables you need, from ice cream and sprinkles to sauces and flakes.
Founded in 1945 by Burt Baskin and Irv Robbins, this business has over 7,300 stores across almost 50 countries. Baskin Robbins serves milkshakes, smoothies and fruit creams alongside a huge selection of ice creams. The ice cream giant is known for its innovative approach. It sells hand-packed, mousse-textured ice creams and pioneered the use of traditional dessert ingredients like apple pie and cheesecake.
- Becoming a Baskin Robbins franchisee: When you join this franchise, you’ll be able to tempt customers with Baskin Robbins’ sundaes. Those with a sweet tooth are often excited to choose their own ice cream and add toppings such as hot fudge, marshmallows, roasted almonds, chocolate truffles or fruit. To learn more and sign up, click here.
- How much you need to invest: Franchisees looking for a piece of the action should be willing to make a total investment of £500,000.
- What you get for your investment: Investors will get help finding suitable site locations, as well as guidance in operational support, management systems, food safety and health and safety. What’s more, quarterly franchisee meetings provide an opportunity to network with and learn from other franchisees on a regular basis.
>> Read more:
Join an ice cream franchise today
Thanks to the huge demand, there’s great potential to start a profitable ice cream franchise unit in the UK. Although there aren’t any Magnum ice cream franchise opportunities at the moment, you can make your name by joining a different dessert business. We’ve listed three fantastic options, but if you want to read more about the industry and possible investment opportunities, take a look at some of our other articles:
- Top 5 Ice Cream Franchises in the UK
- Top 9 Dessert Franchises in the UK
- 6 Tips for Starting a Successfully Sweet Milkshake Bar Franchise
Alice Tuffery, Point Franchise ©
Interested in setting up your own restaurant business? Passionate about international [...]Article published on 15/09/2020 07:40
You may have heard the word ‘turnkey’ used to describe their investment opportunity. [...]Article published on 04/09/2020 15:59
Always dreamed of starting a music franchise unit or business? In this article, [...]Article published on 27/08/2020 15:35
If you love nothing more than a good gaming session to connect with friends or [...]Article published on 25/09/2020 07:21
FOCUS ON BUSINESS SECTORS