Most of us in the UK might not be too familiar with Wingstop, but the fast food chain has a cult following in America and across the globe. If you’re considering starting a business in the fast-paced sector, today we uncover whether you can run a Wingstop franchise in the UK.
Wingstop is an aviation-themed restaurant that specialises in buffalo-style chicken wings. It started out life in 1994 as a small restaurant in Garland, Texas. Since then, Wingstop has expanded to offer its delicious chicken wings to consumers from 1,200 locations across the world. But can you operate your own Wingstop franchise in the UK?
>> Read more:
- Top 7 fast food franchises
- The Original Fast Food: Our Top Three Sandwich Franchises
- Do You Want Fries With That? Our Top 4 Burger Franchises
- Be part of the future of fast food with a One Delivery franchise
- American Burger: How To Start Your Own American Burger Restaurant
- The Yummy Truth About Running a Fast Food Franchise
Does Wingstop franchise in the UK?
Yes! Luckily for international investors, Wingstop does franchise. The franchise model was announced in 1997, facilitating the development of an extensive network of Wingstop restaurants, which currently stretches around the globe.
Wingstop can now be found in the US, Mexico, Colombia, Panama, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, the UAE and the UK.
History of the Wingstop franchise
Despite its name and menu, Wingstop states that it is not in the wing business, but the flavour business. It opened its doors in 1994 and offered franchising opportunites three years later. This philosophy has served the brand well; within eight years of its launch, it had sold one billion wings around the world – indicating average daily sales of over 300,000 wings. Wingstop has opted to focus on wings to create the tastiest possible offering rather than diversifying its menus.
Wingstop reached the UK in 2018 with its flagship restaurant in Cambridge Circus, Central London, and there are now two London locations. With Londoners falling in love with its fresh wings, seasoned fries and famous sides, Wingstop is set to further its UK presence so chicken fans up and down the UK can enjoy its delicious offering.
Starting a Wingstop franchise unit
There isn’t any UK-specific franchise information, but it does ask that entrepreneurs interested in setting up this side of the pond fill out a short questionnaire here.
Becoming a Wingstop franchisee
Wingstop restaurants can be set up on a site of between 1,350 and 1,800 square feet, once investors have identified appropriate locations for their franchise branches and attended a ‘discovery day’ to gain relevant information about a Wingstop franchise.
On top of meeting the financial requirements, you need to have multi-unit restaurant management/development experience and be prepared to open a minimum of three stores during your franchising journey.
How much you need to invest
Investors must have a minimum net worth of $1,200,000, of which, $600,000 must be liquid. The minimum total investment is $340,815, alongside a franchisee fee of $10,000.
Wingstop keeps the focus on one quality item – wings. The company's ability to tap into growing markets and develop new fans has created booming success. – Amanda Jones, Wingstop franchisee in Columbus, OH
What you get for your investment
You will benefit from a comprehensive four-week training scheme, which takes place at the Wingstop Restaurant Support Center in Dallas, Texas. Franchisees will also be able to rely on assistance from Wingstop’s dedicated real estate team, which will offer support during the site selection process.
The construction team will help you choose a general contractor and help manage the conduction process from start to finish. When the branch is up and running, Wingstop’s operations and marketing teams will provide ongoing support.
Other chicken franchise opportunites
While Wingstop is an incredibly attractive franchise opportunity, it does ask for a rather large investment to develop a minimum of three stores. If it’s a bit out of your price range, check out one of these other chicken franchise opportunites.
Founded in 2012 as an alternative to the dominant Piri Piri restaurant brand in the UK, this food franchise set its sights on becoming the go-to choice for delicious, freshly-cooked Piri Piri chicken. Franzos is determined to challenge the market leaders and encourages interested franchisees to get in touch now to reserve a territory.
- Becoming a Franzos franchisee: The ideal Franzos franchisee is someone with a can-do attitude and a good understanding of exceptional customer service. You should be a thoughtful manager in order to understand and attend to the personal and professional needs of staff. It is essential to be passionate about all things Franzos and respect the brand’s values and ethos.
- How much you need to invest: Interested franchisees need to make a minimum investment of £150,000, including franchise fees of £17,500. The franchise suggests that the respected revenue after two years is £750,000.
- What you get for your investment: Franzos offers in-store franchisee training spread over two weeks, assistance with the recruitment and training of staff, comprehensive business support and unique marketing campaigns to ensure that you can hit the ground running.
>> Read more:
This Piri Piri chicken franchise is a rapidly expanding food service concept that offers dine-in, takeaway and delivery options across the UK.
- Becoming a Chunky Chicken franchisee: Franchisees must buy ingredients and minor operating equipment from designated suppliers, safeguarding quality and conforming to operating standards. See its website for more details.
- How much you need to invest: The information regarding franchise costs and fees is not available online. However, you can head to the Chunky Chicken website and fill in the application form for more details.
- What you get for your investment: New franchisees will attend a 12-16-week training programme that covers food preparation, hygiene and safety, ordering and inventory control, first aid, customer service, business principles and financial reporting.
Start a chicken restaurant franchise today
If you’re a chicken fanatic who’s always dreamed of being your own boss, check out one of these five top chicken franchises in the UK. We have a whole series of ‘Q&A’ articles dedicated to finding out if big brands offer franchising opportunites to ambitious franchisees in the UK. Why not have a read of one of the following?
Becky Martin, Point Franchise ©