If you’re passionate about cars and are considering a new business venture, you might be interested in whether Goodyear franchises in the UK. In today’s article, we answer this question and provide some exciting investment opportunites.
Goodyear is a tyre manufacturer that sells products for cars, 4x4s, motorbikes, trucks, buses, industrial equipment and aeroplanes. The business has around 50 manufacturing plants spread across 22 countries and employs around 66,000 people. This makes it one of the world’s biggest tyre producers. But is it possible to start a Goodyear franchise unit in the UK? Before we find out, let’s have a quick look at the history of the highly successful business.
History of Goodyear
It all began in 1898, when 38-year-old Frank Seiberling established The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company. He bought the business’s very first plant with a $3,500 loan from his brother-in-law. This first incarnation of the business sold a range of products, including tyres for bicycles and carriages, horseshoe pads and even poker chips.
In 1904, the business invented the first detachable tyre. Four years later in 1908, it was able to boost its profit potential by producing tyres for the world’s first mass-produced car, the Model T Ford. In 1971, the tyre manufacturer made history by creating the first tyres to touch down on the moon.
Today, Goodyear has over 100 years of experience behind it, which has enabled it to develop a bank of expertise in design and manufacturing. Its sales exceed $15 billion and almost 20,000 people have directly invested in Goodyear common stock.
The brand’s success has allowed it to expand over the years, and it now owns two innovation centres in Europe and the US, as well as four test tracks located across the world. Its operations reach most parts of the globe, making it an internationally recognised business.
Does Goodyear franchise in the UK?
Sadly, Goodyear is not currently advertising franchising opportunities. This is not to say, however, that it will not use the franchising model to expand the business in the future, so it is worth checking back.
>> Read more:
- Franchising 101: The Official Franchise Start Up Checklist (Part 1)
- Franchising 101: The Official Franchise Start Up Checklist (Part 2)
- New Year, New Career: No Better Time Than Now to Start a Franchise Today
- Franchising 101: 8 Signs You're Ready to Start a Franchise
- Starting a New Business Doesn't Always Lead to Immediate Success: Here Are 5 Ways to Change That
- It's Never Too Late to Start a New Business
How to get involved with Goodyear
If you’re set on being a part of the Goodyear brand whichever way you can, head to its website to find out the career opportunites available in your area. Whether you’re a student, graduate, engineer or professional, Goodyear has something for you.
The tyre manufacturing industry in the UK
To make sure our vehicles are safe on the roads, we need to replace our tyres from time to time, and so we turn to tyre franchises to help us. The tyre manufacturing market in the UK is valued at around £2 billion and employs around 5,740 people (IBISWorld). More than 40 million tyres are fitted every year, which is over 100,000 every day (totallossgap). So, it’s safe to say that the tyre industry is a lucrative one.
Similar franchise opportunites
Although it isn’t possible to start a Goodyear franchise, there is a large number of other tyre franchise opportunites out there. Let’s look at three of our top picks…
This franchise is a pioneer in the mobile tyre replacement sector. Its employees work around the clock to supply the highest quality tyres to be replaced at the customers’ utmost convenience. As well as tyre replacement, its services also include wheel alignment and tyre fitting.
- Becoming a Hometyre franchisee: The ideal franchisee for Hometyre is someone who is motivated and hardworking, and can abide by its high standards. You need not worry about sales enquiries, product restocking or logistics management, as Hometyres deals with this in order to ensure that you get your branch up and running as smoothly and efficiently as possible. To get started, head to the franchise’s profile page.
- How much you need to invest: An initial minimum investment of £20,000 and a start-up value of less than £40,000 is required.
- What you get for your investment: An established training programme guides you through your first few weeks with the company. Week one offers further insight into the business, Week two provides hands-on training, and week three goes over the information provided.
>> Read more:
- Love Cars? The Top 5 Car Franchise Opportunities
- Top 6 Automotive Franchises in the UK
- How much money can you make owning an auto repair shop?
- Automobile Franchise Businesses: An Opportunity to Take the Road to Success
- What qualifications do you need to start an automotive business?
- Automotive Product Businesses in the UK
2. The Wheel Specialist
Founded in 1955, The Wheel Specialist originally offered spray painting services throughout a number of industries, but has built on its brand and is now a successful alloy wheel repair and modification specialist. The business has established a large customer base who rely on its superior services as the oldest and largest wheel refurbishing company in the UK.
- Becoming a The Wheel Specialist franchisee: If you are business-minded, computer literature and smart, the franchise encourages you to apply. Head to its client page for further details.
- How much you need to invest: You need to make an initial investment of £44,995 and have access to capital of between £40,000 and £100,000.
- What you get for your investment: The Wheel Specialist will ensure that you have a website ‘that delivers leads while you sleep’, world-class guidance in sales and marketing, an exclusive territory, access to the latest industry research and ongoing support.
This is the UK’s first online tyre franchise, offering tyre changing services whenever customers need it. It was established in 1992, and its franchise model was launched four years later. Etyres’ vans are fully equipped with everything needed to change a tyre and travel to customers while promoting the company’s three core values: honesty, convenience and professionalism.
- Becoming an Etyres franchisee: It’s important that you have great social skills and are 100 percent dedicated to the success of your franchise business if you are to be accepted onto this programme. Request more information on its client page if you like the sound of the opportunity.
- How much you need to invest: An Etyres franchise requires a minimum investment of £24,000.
- What you get for your investment: After investing, you will be enrolled onto a two-week training course covering sales strategy, product information, marketing, IT systems, data management and finance, and offered practical training. This forms part of Etyres’ eight-week set-up scheme. As time goes on, the business will also update you on the business’s latest products, as well as new industry practices, so you can always stay one step ahead of the game.
Get your career rolling with a tyre franchise
If you’re certain that starting a tyre franchise is the right business move, you might be interested in the eight steps for opening a car repair garage. Or, if you’re still unsure, check out our article on the five benefits of being an auto repair shop owner.
Becky Martin, Point Franchise ©